One Hanna Checker to rule them ALL!!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you guys seen this new Hanna Master Multiparameter Checker? It's all of Hanna's checkers in a single unit! Dope!! Here's a video from @SaltwaterAq and @mrsaltwatertank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not sure at $400 if I’m yet receptive
I want to see feedback long term on accuracy

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome. Will be ordering soon. Should save some time with testing. The reactions from people are pretty funny so far. Omg $400! How much did you spend on your apex setup???

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not one test. It's just one photometer that you can put the different cuvettes into.

Saves clutter. Is that a big benefit?

I don't see it saving time.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the idea, but I wish the price point was more like $300. At $400, I don't feel like I should have to be cutting and shaking and dripping.

I'm already doing all that for $50 a pop, and I have most of these checkers separately, so it's kind of a hard sell. Hope they do well, though.

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not one test. It's just one photometer that you can put the different cuvettes into.

Saves clutter. Is that a big benefit?

I don't see it saving time.
Wow, that’s going to lead to some disappointed people. The way it was marketed made me think it was one test for all, not separate tests.
Admittedly, I don’t think I recall them ever saying it was just one test in the material I read. I assumed that it was one test looking back, hope I’m in the minority on that thought process.

Hard pass if it’s 7 different tests.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that’s going to lead to some disappointed people. The way it was marketed made me think it was one test for all, not separate tests.
Admittedly, I don’t think I recall them every saying it was just one test in the material I read.

Personally, I see no benefit over just getting the checkers you need.

The manual shows that each test is different chemicals used:

Each HI97105C is supplied with:

• Sample cuvette (2 pcs.)
• Sample cuvette cap (2 pcs.)
• Marine pH reagent, 30 mL dropper (1 pc.)
• Marine Alkalinity reagent, 30 mL (1 pc.)
• Marine Calcium reagent A, 30 mL (1 pc.)
• Marine Calcium reagent B starter kit (reagent for 25 tests)
• Marine Nitrate High Range starter kit (reagent for 25 tests)
• Marine Nitrite Ultra Low Range starter kit (reagent for 25 tests)
• Marine Phosphate Ultra Low Range starter kit (reagent for 25 tests)

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see absolutely no real benefit to this. Does not appear to save any time and it is one piece of $400 equip that if it fails I cant do any of my testing and out $400. If I was going to use hanna it seems the best approach is still individual checkers unless you just really want to reduce clutter.

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On first glance I was thinking WOW, but on closer look I'll be passing on this unit. $400 for really only 4 useful tests of Alk, Calc, Nitrate, Phosphate. That and, as others have mentioned, I'm not confident in the calcium test.

roccomorra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this something a new reefer should consider? There are so many products out there it can get a bit overwhelming. My 40 gallon cube reef will be wet by next weekend.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Admittedly, I don’t think I recall them ever saying it was just one test in the material I read. I assumed that it was one test looking back, hope I’m in the minority on that thought process.

Ditto. If it were one test for all parameters (a guy can dram, right?) I would have already placed my order... probably would even be willing to pay a lot more than $400 for that luxury. But for it to just consolidate a bunch of testers that I already have, no thanks :(

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this something a new reefer should consider? There are so many products out there it can get a bit overwhelming. My 40 gallon cube reef will be wet by next weekend.

My opinion is definetely not and i personally think this is a horrible value. You dont need all those tests and it ends up more expensive than buying individual checkers. The benefits seem to be less clutter and ability to calibrate. The downside is cost, takes longer to test,and the fact that if equipment fails you cant test anything and are out $400 bucks. If an individual checker fails you are out 1 test and $50.

My personal opinion here and assuming you are not wanted to buy into some of the automated testing solutions... If i was brand new i would personally go with hanna phosphate and high range nitrate checkers. A PH probe(milwaukee or pinpoint). Nyos or salifert for alkalinity and calcium. If you want to watch your cycle then a cheap ammonia kit. That setup is going to cost you less and in my opinion give you better results than buying this device.

SaltySkipper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be staying with the individual test units. I like avoiding a single point of failure, and at this price point that’s what I see it as. As a product manager, I would recommend market research from your community members before bringing something like this to market. At minimum and at this price I would expect it have Bluetooth access to an app used on a smart device. And second, minimize the number of reagents needed to be used so I can get more test done in shorter period of time. I’d pay $800!
image.jpg

AllanPritchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The advantage of the individual checkers is you can start some off that need a wait time and do others while you wait. I don't think I will buy into a single test unit but I like the screen and instructions and the fact it saves results.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back