One Leak So Far....

NervousReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finished plumbing my tank (first time) last week and today I did my wet test. Everything was going fine no leaks from over flow box or drain lines. That is until I got down to the pvc that connects to the sump. Water pooling out from the bottom of the connection. My dad suggested putting some cement around the bottom to try and block the leak, so we did that. Now I’m waiting for it to dry to see if it works.

Problem is I may have to redo that section because I kinda had to cut the red pvc that connects to the sump because I forget to add a union, so I so it’s not fully pushed into the gray coupling you see there.

What are you thoughts? Thanks in advance!

720129F0-C889-48F4-9A24-6DDBC1099A0B.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water pooling out from the bottom of the connection. My dad suggested putting some cement around the bottom to try and block the leak, so we did that.
Im not sure if you mean the top of the gray coupler or the bottom of the gray coupler. Looks like cement on the top.
There is not much pressure from the water going into the sump. Sometimes just a little silicone applied to the inside of the joint when you assemble it, can make a seal. Enough to stop the leak. If this is the return from the pump then it needs to be glued properly.
Im not sure if this is what you are asking

OP
OP
NervousReefer

NervousReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure if you mean the top of the gray coupler or the bottom of the gray coupler. Looks like cement on the top.
There is not much pressure from the water going into the sump. Sometimes just a little silicone applied to the inside of the joint when you assemble it, can make a seal. Enough to stop the leak. If this is the return from the pump then it needs to be glued properly.
Im not sure if this is what you are asking
The leak was at the bottom of the coupler and this is one of the drain lines to the sump. It’s completely my fault that it’s leaking, I cut the intake pvc (red pvc is hidden by coupler) too short because I messed up and actually had to cut it. So I just took that section apart where I have a union and I’m going to plumb that part again.

image.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would have used the thicker Blue PVC cement which will stop most any leak otherwise Aquarium silicone sealant.

astridaly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too sure about the issue but some effective ways to prevent leaks is to use the silicone rings on either of the connecting ends, plumbers tape around the part that screws into the other piece and a metal type clamp to further support the connection of the two pieces... Hope this helps you, if not, someone else who reads this discussion/issue.

JonoB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, looks like the easiest/best option would be to get another piece and cut it to the correct size where that red piece is. Just so others are clear, and to make sure I'm right, it's leaking because that red piece is too short and isn't pushing all the way into the coupler, right?

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The leak was at the bottom of the coupler and this is one of the drain lines to the sump. It’s completely my fault that it’s leaking, I cut the intake pvc (red pvc is hidden by coupler) too short because I messed up and actually had to cut it. So I just took that section apart where I have a union and I’m going to plumb that part again.

image.jpg

I think you are going to have to glue the coupler to the red piece regardless of what you do. You can always just unscrew the bulkhead if you need to remove it down the line.

Maybe try not having the red piece glued to the bulkhead and instead glue the red piece to the grey coupler.

Back