One lonely little blasto

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this little single polyp blasto as a freebie 4 months ago. It is always open and happy. I have moved it around a few times yet it never wants any brothers or sisters. It is just a lonely little blasto and I'm not sure why he won't expand the family. I have some acans that have doubled size. Basically every coral in the tank is thriving and growing.

Any tricks to motivate my little blasto?

20221001_123052.jpg

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this little single polyp blasto as a freebie 4 months ago. It is always open and happy. I have moved it around a few times yet it never wants any brothers or sisters. It is just a lonely little blasto and I'm not sure why he won't expand the family. I have some acans that have doubled size. Basically every coral in the tank is thriving and growing.

20221001_123052.jpg
You spot feeding it? That was how I got my blastos to go.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

20221001_123052.jpg
Feed it mysis and under moderate light. Mine took off in growth since I increased feedings

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe give it a day or two to pooh, if you feeding too much? it may be constipated? Also maybe try not to adjust position too much, let it settle and get used to surroundings

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe give it a day or two to pooh, if you feeding too much? it may be constipated? Also maybe try not to adjust position too much, let it settle and get used to surroundings
I doubt it's over fed. I've only moved it once in 4 months to see if I could motivate it to expand the family. It's always happy with nice color just seems to be in a dormant growth state. Acans and favia have doubled in size.

However, I do dose phytoplankton daily but I doubt that would cause over feeding to it.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it's over fed. I've only moved it once in 4 months to see if I could motivate it to expand the family. It's always happy with nice color just seems to be in a dormant growth state. Acans and favia have doubled in size.

However, I do dose phytoplankton daily but I doubt that would cause over feeding to it.

Yes you may think so but remember when you first started, best advice was patience/leave it alone :)
It will not hurt/ die if you do not feed it for 2 days, give it a break/ rest/ pooh

Obviously it's not performing as you would like but give it a day off... At least.

Its your aquarium:)

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you may think so but remember when you first started, best advice was patience/leave it alone :)
It will not hurt/ die if you do not feed it for 2 days, give it a break/ rest/ pooh

Obviously it's not performing as you would like but give it a day off... At least.

Aside from tank dosing phytoplankton, it only gets a oyster feast squirt once a week but it's easy to leave it be also. I have read posts where people talk about their blastos being dormant for many months but do not know what causes it.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from tank dosing phytoplankton, it only gets a oyster feast squirt once a week but it's easy to leave it be also. I have read posts where people talk about their blastos being dormant for many months but do not know what causes it.

I've had Lords do the same thing and months later just take off. And then some just took off from the 1st week, so there you go...mysteries of LPS.

My Blastos (merletti, wellsi and vivida) all like larger meaty foods like Mysids, Brine Shrimp, etc.

This one (likely Blastomussa vivida) has taken a few months to sprout, even with 2x/wk generous feedings:

20221001_144015.jpg

I've found Blastomussa merletti to be the fastest Blasto species sprouters.

At any rate, the more you move it/change parameters, the longer it'll take to pop babies.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had Lords do the same thing and months later just take off. And then some just took off from the 1st week, so there you go...mysteries of LPS.

My Blastos (merletti, wellsi and vivida) all like larger meaty foods like Mysids, Brine Shrimp, etc.

This one (likely Blastomussa vivida) has taken a few months to sprout, even with 2x/wk generous feedings:

20221001_144015.jpg

I've found Blastomussa merletti to be the fastest Blasto species sprouters.

At any rate, the more you move it/change parameters, the longer it'll take to pop babies.
Yes there does seem to be variations in growth patterns. Mine has been in its spot 2 months now. Looks healthy and happy just enjoying the single life I guess.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never fed mine and it drops heads every so often. The mother colony is still in the display along with 2 other colonies. I find it a bit odd because two small colonies next to each other have totally different sizes heads.
20220903_211330.jpg

These are some frags and mini colonies all from the same mother colony. Maybe stop feeding :thinking-face:
20221002_144848.jpg

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. My blasto is almost 2 years old and finally sprouted a second head just a couple weeks ago!

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very strange huh
Even funnier is that I bought 4 different acan micromussas at the same time. One is almost softball sized colony, one is almost dead, and the other two are in between. My LPS either take off and do great or slowly head the other direction.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even funnier is that I bought 4 different acan micromussas at the same time. One is almost softball sized colony, one is almost dead, and the other two are in between. My LPS either take off and do great or slowly head the other direction.
Now I can understand this if they are in dramatically different spots in your tank but if not then I wonder if it is just a survival of the fittest nature approach.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Honestly this is the best advice. Honestly leaving them be as long as your tank is generally doing fine and keeping up with regular maintenance and feeding is probably the best thing to do. I have a blasto that basically was only one head for a year. The only thing was that it was huge. Began spot feeding it a month ago and lo and behold I spot babies below it. Will share a pic of it once Im home.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back