One of mi biggest fear seems here...ich?

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not look like velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum) to me at all. Velvet usually begins around the fish's gills and spreads outward from there, and I don't see that in the OP's photos. Velvet also creates much smaller spots which are more densely and more uniformly dispersed. Fish with velvet usually decline very quickly. It does look like Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans) to me. Many fish, particularly surgeonfish, seem to do just fine with occasional light infections of Ich. But either way, the most recommended and most reliable treatments are largely the same. Remove the fish to a separate treatment tank and treat with copper.
Copper-based treatments are readily available from every LFS and many big box stores which carry pet supplies. No need to wait a week for a mail-order medication. I've seen no real evidence anywhere that any other treatment is more effective than copper-based medications.

But yes, the fish definitely needs to be caught and moved to a separate tank for treatment. That is the immediate goal. If you can't catch him with a net, figure out a way to trap him.
Really, all of the fish need to be removed and treated at the same time and the display tank left without fish for some period of time, depending upon the life cycle of the parasite. As I recall, 8 weeks is the generally recommended minimum fallow period.

How big is the display tank and how many fish are currently in it?

And what the heck is 'TTM'?

Exactly why I didn’t think it was velvet at the very beginning. Thank you.
I strongly recommend treating the entire display tank as going fishless is hit or miss. I have heard to many cases where people say they waited for 10 weeks or even longer and fish showed signs or ich after being treated and put back to the tank and white spots developed again.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether it’s ich or velvet I think it’s a more sound plan to remove all fish and place in a QT where you can treat with copper. Treating a DT under hypo and removing rock, sand, inverts, coral sounds counter productive for times sake. You’d still have to set up a tank for the inverts and corals and then find appropriate CA and ALK consumption rates and dose accordingly to avoid swings. Then you have to keep those isolated for 76 days to ensure ich has run its course due to possible ich eggs (forget the correct term) attaching to hard coral surfaces.

Best of luck and hope everything comes out ok regardless of what choice you make.

Last edited:

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether it’s ich or velvet I think it’s a more sound plan to remove all fish and place in a QT where you can treat with copper. Treating a DT under hypo and removing rock, sand, inverts, coral sounds counter productive for times sake. You’d still have to set up a tank for the inverts and corals and then find appropriate CA and ALK consumption rates and dose accordingly to avoid swings. Then you have to keep those isolated for 76 days to ensure ich has run its course due to possible ich eggs (forget the correct term) attaching to hard coral surfaces.

Best of luck and hope everything comes out ok regardless of what choice you make.

For hypo in display only inverts and corals need to be removed which is way easier than catching all the fish.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For hypo in display only inverts and corals need to be removed which is way easier than catching all the fish.

But that’s only half of the work Lol. Now you have to set up and maintain a separate tank with light and ensure parameters do not swing and hope you’re dealing with ich cause if you are not then that opens up a bigger can of worms. I prefer going to the gym for a workout but we each have our own preference.

Feel free to search “hypo in DT” OP.
Nevertheless, best of luck OP and feel free to ask questions if anything pops up

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But that’s only half of the work Lol. Now you have to set up and maintain a separate tank with light and ensure parameters do not swing and hope you’re dealing with ich cause if you are not then that opens up a bigger can of worms. I prefer going to the gym for a workout but we each have our own preference.

Feel free to search “hypo in DT” OP.
Nevertheless, best of luck OP and feel free to ask questions if anything pops up

True it’s OP’s decision in the end. Good luck.

OP
OP
A

ahl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, fish is still doing well which makes me think this is ich and not velvet. I'll definite research doing hypo in the DT as it seems easier in the surface. Let's find the cons.
Thank you all sicerely for your inputs and opinions.
I'll keep you posted on route and outcome.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not look like velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum) to me at all. Velvet usually begins around the fish's gills and spreads outward from there, and I don't see that in the OP's photos. Velvet also creates much smaller spots which are more densely and more uniformly dispersed. Fish with velvet usually decline very quickly. It does look like Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans) to me. Many fish, particularly surgeonfish, seem to do just fine with occasional light infections of Ich. But either way, the most recommended and most reliable treatments are largely the same. Remove the fish to a separate treatment tank and treat with copper.
Copper-based treatments are readily available from every LFS and many big box stores which carry pet supplies. No need to wait a week for a mail-order medication. I've seen no real evidence anywhere that any other treatment is more effective than copper-based medications.

But yes, the fish definitely needs to be caught and moved to a separate tank for treatment. That is the immediate goal. If you can't catch him with a net, figure out a way to trap him.
Really, all of the fish need to be removed and treated at the same time and the display tank left without fish for some period of time, depending upon the life cycle of the parasite. As I recall, 8 weeks is the generally recommended minimum fallow period.

How big is the display tank and how many fish are currently in it?

And what the heck is 'TTM'?

"TTM" is the tank to tank transfer method. You basically put the fish in a new tank (some use buckets) for a day or two, then move it to another, while cleaning out the first tank. So you keep on moving the fish to an environment where the parasite isn't. Eventually they all fall off and the fish ends up in a clean tank with no parasites.

Imo, this is way more work than just treating it, but some fish don't do well with those meds.

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it. Good strategy for a fish that might not take the meds well. Thanks for the explanation.

OP
OP
A

ahl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it ended up being ich, since all fish lasted longer than they were supposed to with Velvet. I did lose my two tangs (Kole and Yellow) ;Sorry. Since then all others are doing great in HT with the medicine, they haven't lost any appetite.

Thank for all your help!!

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it ended up being ich, since all fish lasted longer than they were supposed to with Velvet. I did lose my two tangs (Kole and Yellow) ;Sorry. Since then all others are doing great in HT with the medicine, they haven't lost any appetite.

Thank for all your help!!

Sorry for your loss and thank you for the update.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back