One or two AI Prime 16HD's for a RSR 170?

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup my first AI Prime 16HD after a long time using a sub-par light. I've got some SPS in the tank, which are stable in the center of the display with this light. I was wondering if one AI is sufficient enough to light this tank for a mixed reef, or if I should be looking to add another one down the line?

Anyone with experience running AI primes on this tank?

thesoulpatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had 2 primes on my nuvo 40 and grew anything and everything, didn't worry about shadows either

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup my first AI Prime 16HD after a long time using a sub-par light. I've got some SPS in the tank, which are stable in the center of the display with this light. I was wondering if one AI is sufficient enough to light this tank for a mixed reef, or if I should be looking to add another one down the line?

I have experience
They suck. I had one on a 6g cube frag holding tank. Very low par unless you max out the whites. Lenses burned in less than a year and 1/3 of the diodes crapped out after 2…..right after the warranty expired

Last edited:

mkereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2 would be fine just check par for some corals if u have any.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt a single 16 will suffice for SPS. Maybe add a 24 inch t5 hybrid to supplement the 16 since you already have it. I have a reefer 170 also and am running a radion xr15 pro gen4 and now that I added the aquatic life hybrid fixture with 2 coral + and 2 blue + frags are finally starting to color up. They were pretty much brown before adding the fixture.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt a single 16 will suffice for SPS. Maybe add a 24 inch t5 hybrid to supplement the 16 since you already have it. I have a reefer 170 also and am running a radion xr15 pro gen4 and now that I added the aquatic life hybrid fixture with 2 coral + and 2 blue + frags are finally starting to color up. They were pretty much brown before adding the fixture.
Awesome I’ll look into a T5 I don’t know much about them though any suggestions?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the one I bought. There are different versions that may just be newer I'm not sure but this was the cheapest. I could find Screenshot_20220625-170106_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what it looks like over my 170. They have some nice looking mounting arms that mount to the wall behind the tank but being in a corner I had to hang mine. I'm happy with it so far. I think I've been running it for 2-3 months now. The radion I control with an app of course. The T5s are not dimmable but they offer one that is for more money. I'm using cheap Bluetooth outlets for the T5s. Radion ramps up first then the front T5 turns on then the back a little while later. Reverse for off with the radion giving me my night time light for viewing. Excuse the tank, its in transition. 20220625_170356.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 58 45.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 44 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back