One Reefing Boi's One Watery Box

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Reef2Reef! Super excited to finally be contributing to a build thread!! Will be moving into a new house on the Jersey Shore, 2 blocks from the Beach so having the opportunity to bring that ecosystem, inside my own bed room is so awesome!

I have had freshwater for 15 years and this is my first fish I ever had, Horatio, who is now 13 years old and in the lobby of my dads business -- deff a client and employee favorite!
IMG_4158.jpeg

I also have a 15g Fluval Flex that is currently 5-6mo old that I plan to use as a QT Tank once I get my bigger tank set up. Slightly older picture as I now have AI Primes, a Nero 3, a few more torches, and macro algae.

IMG_6014.jpeg

But onto the new build!!

TANK/LIGHTS/STAND
Went with the Waterbox 50.3 AIO with a Black stand and the two AI Prime 16HD's. I don't see too many people with this tank so hopefully I can share my experiences with it! Will also use Fiji Pink Sand and Carribsea Dry Life Rock
Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 6.11.50 PM.png

PUMPS/HEATER/FILTER
For the return pump, I went with the SICCE Syncra Silent 2.0 that Waterbox Recommended. And the wavemaker I am going with the Nero 5. Might get a gyre for the other side of the tank for some random flow if I think it would be needed, will get that down the road. Heater I was thinking of the BRS Titanium Heating System. For filter media, I am not really sure what to run. Want to kind of keep things low tech so might just run carbon for chemical, and sponges for everything else. I don't like the hang on the back skimmers so not really looking at that, but open to other things I would want to consider. If it can't be hidden under the tank in the stand, or in the actual filter compartment, not super interested in it. Was thinking about using some Chaeto Reactor like this Tunze down the road as well.

STOCKING
Corals will be mixed. Zoas, GSP, LPS, and some SPS. Will also get an anemone for the clowns, not sure what kind yet.

Fish stocking I was thinking:
- 2 Clowns
- YMG/Pistol
- Long Nose Hawk
- Mandarin
- Tailspot Bleny (maybe) or a few Pajama Cardinals
- Six Line Wrasse (if not the tail spot or Cardinals but not sure how friendly he is/will outcompete the mandarin for pods)
- Sand Sifting Goby
- Skunk Cleaner Shrimp and a Fire Red Shrimp
- Long Spine Urchin (maybe-- always always loved these guys but knowing my luck I will accidentally stab myself)
- Snails/blue legged hermits

The house is in the final stages of being built right now, so I will update with actual pictures toward the end of the month when we actually move in!!

Would love some feedback on the stocking. Looking to add a bit of 'movement' to the tank other than the 2 clowns. The YMG hides, the mandarin kind of hides and is elusive, the hawk just sits and chills so I am looking for stuff that is active. Figured the carindals look nice schooled in the mid-water area or the 6 line would look good going in and out of the rock work.
Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 6.10.47 PM.png

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back