One sick fish do i qt all others as well as a cya?

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a health fish come down with velvet, lost 3 others as well, remaining ones seem fine an it's been several days since the deaths.. Should I qt all remaining as a c.m.a, even if the appear fine.?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would QT all of them as fast as you can. If they were killed by velvet, that means its still in the tank.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have been fishing an still am. Seems like when I pull out what appears to be a sick fish the other healthy looking ones turn up fuzzy. Almost like it's looking for another fish. Once a known host is gone. I will be picking up my cp not copper tomorrow.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have been fishing an still am. Seems like when I pull out what appears to be a sick fish the other healthy looking ones turn up fuzzy. Almost like it's looking for another fish. Once a known host is gone. I will be picking up my cp not copper tomorrow.

What species died versus what species survived? Velvet isn't very selective as to what species are affected....

Jay

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the only ones that appear unaffected are my diamond gobies. seems research says that this is odd but true that they have some stronger resistance to it. Who knows. We shall see.

since this is my first time dealing with a total tank killer I'm using it as a learning lesson and not a hobby killer.

I also have one black molly in my dt and qt as my test fish. I waited months on a cycle so waiting 2 months on a fowl will be no problem ill just coral shop for awhile

but those gobies, I mean if left in with 0 signs or symptoms what does that mean for future fish addition and the total removal of the a disease.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the only ones that appear unaffected are my diamond gobies. seems research says that this is odd but true that they have some stronger resistance to it. Who knows. We shall see.

since this is my first time dealing with a total tank killer I'm using it as a learning lesson and not a hobby killer.

I also have one black molly in my dt and qt as my test fish. I waited months on a cycle so waiting 2 months on a fowl will be no problem ill just coral shop for awhile

but those gobies, I mean if left in with 0 signs or symptoms what does that mean for future fish addition and the total removal of the a disease.
That is odd, that species isn’t resistant to protozoan diseases. I would definately let the tank run a full fallow period, 76 days, just to try and ensure the gobies aren’t acting as carriers.
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back