One Spot Fox Face

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
Picked up this beautiful one spot fox face yesterday. I did my research on this fish, seen his color changing already especially at night to the camo pattern definitely is gonna need some time to adapt to the tank very skittish. But I fed mysis shrimp earlier and he didn’t bother with it. He was busy eating algae off the live rock all day and also ate some seaweed off the overflow when he was hiding next to it last night that was caught there. What does everybody feed their foxface?

79EAAEDC-5988-42EF-9C44-A2319B5A1C08.jpeg

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I feed all my tangs that. I’m just thinking he just needs some time to adapt

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Nori. Mysis and LRS. He's not picky. Since it's only been a day I think you're going to have to give him some time.

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the formula 2 flakes, and the nori sheets, but mine will also eat brine shrimp and marine one cubes.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pair of baby foxfaces (I think they may be one spots but I'm not sure) and they eat flakes and frozen foods way too well (I want them to rather fill up on the GHA in the tank!).

These are actually very social fish that should ideally be kept in pairs. Juveniles will form buddy pairs for protection with any other foxface or even other rabbitfish, regardless of sex. They do this so one can feed safely in rock crevices while the other one keeps watch for predators.

Here a very interesting article on this behavior:
Coordinated vigilance provides evidence for direct reciprocity in coral reef fishes

And this is how it looks in action:
Figure 2

They will switch to a opposite sex partner once they become sexually mature. Unfortunately, rabbitfish (incl. foxfaces) are gonochoristic and do not change sex. So the chances of getting a male-female pair when picking 2 individuals are 50% at best.

Here a video of my guys during feeding time:

Obviously they have learned that there are no sharks and barracudas around and that the food comes from above. But even if they bicker with each other sometimes, most of the time they keep close and often swim next to each other.

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pair of baby foxfaces (I think they may be one spots but I'm not sure) and they eat flakes and frozen foods way too well (I want them to rather fill up on the GHA in the tank!).

These are actually very social fish that should ideally be kept in pairs. Juveniles will form buddy pairs for protection with any other foxface or even other rabbitfish, regardless of sex. They do this so one can feed safely in rock crevices while the other one keeps watch for predators.

Here a very interesting article on this behavior:
Coordinated vigilance provides evidence for direct reciprocity in coral reef fishes

And this is how it looks in action:
Figure 2

They will switch to a opposite sex partner once they become sexually mature. Unfortunately, rabbitfish (incl. foxfaces) are gonochoristic and do not change sex. So the chances of getting a male-female pair when picking 2 individuals are 50% at best.

Here a video of my guys during feeding time:

Obviously they have learned that there are no sharks and barracudas around and that the food comes from above. But even if they bicker with each other sometimes, most of the time they keep close and often swim next to each other.

Does this work with adults? I've only one foxface and often been concerned that he may be lonely as he is the only solo fish. 99% of his day is spent interacting with his reflection on the glass. But I've read they can be very aggressive with / will kill or terrorize other foxface?

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this work with adults? I've only one foxface and often been concerned that he may be lonely as he is the only solo fish. 99% of his day is spent interacting with his reflection on the glass. But I've read they can be very aggressive with / will kill or terrorize other foxface?
It should work with adults if they are of the opposite sex. Though adding a new one to an established individual may be a bit difficult. Things are complicated by the fact that rabbitfish do not change sex and are - to my knowledge - not easily sexed. So there is definitely some trial and error involved and you should be prepared to try a couple of adults before you find a match for your current one.
Ideally one would start with a group of 3 or better more tiny juveniles to see which ones team up and then remove the extras.
With my two I'm so far not even sure that both are actually the same species as the larger one is almost always in camouflage or black and white color pattern while the smaller one usually sports the normal foxface coloration.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 100 76.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back