One spot fox face not eating

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I found my one-spot Foxface stuck to the overflow suction the other day. I peeled him off, but two days later he is still slow/drunkish looking and he's not eating. I'm not sure what they're supposed to look like in width but he's very thin and has been that way since I got him. Is there anything I should do? Thanks.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What foods have you tried feeding? You can try feeding frozen mysis or brine, and/or soaking food in a few drops of garlic extract (I use kent: https://amzn.to/3Tfr9Qm) to try to get him eating again.

Photos and/or video might also help.

OP
OP
B

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What foods have you tried feeding? You can try feeding frozen mysis or brine, and/or soaking food in a few drops of garlic extract (I use kent: https://amzn.to/3Tfr9Qm) to try to get him eating again.

Photos and/or video might also help.
I only feed frozen mysis/brine/etc combo. Seaweed strips few times a week. I just noticed the other day my bluejaw trigger scratching itself on the rocks... Just did it again now.
I tried to get a video but he stopped just before. Overall the bluejaw looks and eats well.

Attachments

• IMG_6099.mov
    22.1 MB
  • IMG_6101.mov
    34 MB
OP
OP
B

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just tried feeding again, it looks like he tries to eat. He's actively swimming towards the food, but he's quite slow and inaccurate in his swimming. Not really able to grab the food well.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the video.

That fish is really thin. How long have you had it?

It could be internal parasites. That could be treated in the tank with Prazi Pro. It could be too late, since the fish is so thin.

OP
OP
B

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the video.

That fish is really thin. How long have you had it?

It could be internal parasites. That could be treated in the tank with Prazi Pro. It could be too late, since the fish is so thin.
Not sure maybe 4 weeks? Could it be Ich or flukes since the trigger is scratching on the rock? My formosa also dives and scratches on the sandbed but I didn't think it was strange until I start thinking about parasites.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure maybe 4 weeks? Could it be Ich or flukes since the trigger is scratching on the rock? My formosa also dives and scratches on the sandbed but I didn't think it was strange until I start thinking about parasites.
The tank could have ich or flukes. If the foxface has ich or flukes, it isn't at the point where it's killing the fish. The main issue is it being so thin/malnourished.

If you suspect flukes, Prazi in the display would be worth doing.

OP
OP
B

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank could have ich or flukes. If the foxface has ich or flukes, it isn't at the point where it's killing the fish. The main issue is it being so thin/malnourished.

If you suspect flukes, Prazi in the display would be worth doing.
I don't know if I suspect anything lol I'm pretty new to this. They have to come from other fish correct? I haven't gotten new fish in a couple weeks, so would there have already been casualties? Does it spread quickly? I've heard the scratching can just be a territorial display.. the rest of the fish all look healthy.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have to come from other fish correct?
Disease can come from other fish, or the new fish, or actually anything wet introduced into the tank.

I haven't gotten new fish in a couple weeks, so would there have already been casualties?
A couple weeks is a short time. Ich's life cycle can take a couple months, for example.

Does it spread quickly? I've heard the scratching can just be a territorial display.. the rest of the fish all look healthy.
Some things spread quickly, like velvet or flukes. Ich is a very slow killer, if it kills at all. That's good that everyone else looks healthy. I would closely watch everything.

OP
OP
B

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed 3 fish flashing now. This sounds like something’s up right? I don’t know what to do. Fresh water bath to check for flukes? How do I know if it’s ich, or something else?

I don’t have a quarantine tank either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I opened a new thread, thank you guys.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back