One torch open, the other less so

gobirds4290

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 7, 2025
Messages
41
Reaction score
20
Location
South Jersey
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first two torch corals two and a half weeks ago. The one on the left took a day or two to open but has since been open and flowy and already split into a second head. The one on the right seems to alternate throughout the day of longish tentacle to slightly deflated tentacles (still out just shorter and limp) and not nearly as flowy. Its tentacles actually seem to look best early in the morning before the full lights are on.

Is this just a case of it still adjusting or should I try it somewhere with less light?

IMG_4077.jpeg
 
I might try placing it in a different spot to see if it improves, not necessarily less light, but just to give it a different perspective on light and flow.
 
Temp 79
Sg 1.026
Alk 10
Calc 390
Mag 1350
Phos .03
Nitrate 0-5

Everything else in the tank (nem, other lps and euphyllia, one sps) is doing great
 
Phos .03
Nitrate 0-5
For a new tank these numbers are both on the low side.

If you're doing filtration other than skimmer+live rock, stop. If that's all you're doing then you have room to feed your fish/other animals more than you are. If not that, then you could consider dosing nutrients.

I'd target ≥ 0.10 ppm PO4 and ≥ 5 ppm NO3.
 
For a new tank these numbers are both on the low side.

If you're doing filtration other than skimmer+live rock, stop. If that's all you're doing then you have room to feed your fish/other animals more than you are. If not that, then you could consider dosing nutrients.

I'd target ≥ 0.10 ppm PO4 and ≥ 5 ppm NO3.
It’s been a struggle even getting them to this point. No filtration other than rock. Stopped water changes six months ago and have been feeding five times a day since June to get over a Dino outbreak 😂
 
It’s been a struggle even getting them to this point. No filtration other than rock. Stopped water changes six months ago and have been feeding five times a day since June to get over a Dino outbreak 😂
You can resume doing water changes for cleaning....just dose the new saltwater with the suggested target levels of NO3 and PO4. That way nutrients don'y bottom out in the process.

Another option is to get a low-micron filter sock (I like 5 micron) and siphon clean into the sock that's in your waterchange bucket. When the bucket gets full, take out the sock and dump the water back in the tank.

I would consider dosing the tank up to those levels as well.
 
I’m a bit more on the No3 for my my tank, 5-10. And Po4 I’m at about .05 try to keep it below the .1

I know many do not like to check for calcium or mag, but I’m one that does. The calc level could go up to 420ish. My torches hated life when my calc was down at 380-390. I now dose AFR and it’s keeping calc at 420-430 and torches are all good again.

But let’s remember not all tanks are the same. What works for me might not for you.

Your torches could have come from a tank with higher parameters and thus why one is ticked off.

What’s it looking like now?

And what are you testing parameters with?
 
Could you post a video of those heads? Hard to tell from the photo, but it does seem way closer to the glass and might be getting too much flow. Correct flow is very important for torches. If you don't get it right they might look like a mop taken out of the bucket.
 
Here’s a video from this morning just as the white lights are turning on. It’s two inches from the glass, middle-ish of the tank width but looks the flow may be too strong pushing to the right even though it’s set to random. I might try switching it with the one to its left which seems to get better flow direction wise

 
I think that's too much flow on both of them, specially on the right one. The exact amount that works for me is when the polyps gradually swing from 1 side to the other. I'd move them closer to the rocks behind them and that might do the trick.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new