One way check valve on return pump...do you need it?

KellyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I was wondering if anyone know if I have to install a one way check valve on my return pump? I’m hard plumbing the system and My outlets sit below the water line and I don’t know if it will try to “back flow” if the power to the pump shuts off. Thanks I’m advance if anyone has any input!
B465AD74-9719-42D6-A229-F75DECDC36EE.jpeg

Here is a picture of my pump return
1F9C6B94-BD86-4FFE-8C43-5D723F3815B8.jpeg
Here is a picture of my return pump with the check valve installed...it’s kinda bulky and don’t want to use it if I don’t have to...

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may backflow a little. But you should design your system so that your sump can accomidate the extra water. Check valves will fail. I installed a Spears true union check valve on my tank and it failed from day 1. I wish I had never bothered.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the thought that the sump should be able to handle a reasonable amount of back-flow water if the pump cuts out— but as perhaps a last resort. Couple that with the return nozzles not being so far under the surface that they will drain gallons and gallons before creating a siphon break. (I have my nozzles breaking the water surface at all times, plus have the check valves, plus have extra room in the sump, so hopefully I am covered 3-ways.) You can also research here on R2R where to drill a tiny nozzle/lock-line hole to cause a siphon break.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before my 2020 junk purge, my closet of misfit ‘toys’ included all sorts of check valves. Disadvantages outweigh advantages.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not trust the check valve either. I always drill an anti-siphon hole in my plumbing and keep at least one nozzle high enough to break siphon before sump floods.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back