Online viewing: Do you have a web camera for your aquarium?

Do you have a web camera for your aquarium?

• Yes, I have a webcam for my reef

Votes: 196 34.3%
  • No, but I have plans to add a webcam for my reef

Votes: 205 35.8%
  • No, I have no plans to add a webcam for my reef

Votes: 157 27.4%
  • Other

Votes: 14 2.4%

• Total voters

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't there an underwater camera that is made specifically for reef/aquariums? I believe it's in the UK?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I travel too much for work. Approx 100+ days a year on average.

Display and sump cams.
Screenshot_20230331-081542.png
Screenshot_20230331-081807.png

Screenshot_20230331-082548.png

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a google nest camera that allows me to view the tank in pretty dang good quality and with the built in IR even at night. best purchase i ever made and im thinking of buying one for in the sump too

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a living room camera. since we have a new pup my GF and i want to keep an eye on him since we’re renting. it’s too far to get a clear view of the tank.
Also have a living room cam, used to have a chewer on everything... Found out it was my 4 pounder dog (shocker ironically). Also helps when I have to have a non regular dog/fish sitter.

Screenshot_20230331-082932.png

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an inexpensive Wyze on mine.

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be gone for work for long periods. I "invested" in a broadcast quality web cam. Mine is an Axis V5915 with full PTZ, auto white balance, and a 20x optical zoom. I used it to enjoy my tank while I was away from home.

With it's built in web-server I put it on the web to share my tank with anyone interested. You can check it out at o2manyfish.com --- Tank lights aren't on till 4pm PST.

It's neat to check the camera logs and see people logging in from around the world. We avg about 100 people a day and that number doubles on the weekends. If I do a good youtube update on the tank then the daily views can hit 1000.

I then took the web-cams feed and integrated it into our security camera system. In our theater, living room, kitchen, master bedroom we have 32" monitors showing the security cameras, and one of those feeds is the reef tank.

Now that I am retired and don't travel for work anymore I get to enjoy my tank from more rooms in the house than just the room the tank is viewable.

For when things go wrong, the PTZ has been invaluable. We were on an Alaskan cruise when there was an 8hr power outage. Fish loss was over 100 fish. Using the camera we were able to guide the house sitter to a majority of the bodies to remove them from the tank.

In addition to the Axis camera on the main 750g tank, I have 5 standard 4mp security cameras on the outdoor frag tanks and the outdoor filter wall so I can keep track of everything, whether at home or away.

The Axis is probably outside of most people's budgets for a webcam, but it's an amazing camera and for me has been well worth the investment.

Dave B
So sorry for your losses!! 100 fish 8 hours oh no!! What are you doing now for emergency back up??

I have a generator but I must be home to start the generator… but I did put 4 battery power pumps on my tank… I think that should give me a few hours to get home or someone else to my house for triage…

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of Wyze cameras but I am finding that a problem with them is that they occasionally need to be rebooted. This can be a problem when I'm away for an extended period of time although I will try plugging them into Smart Switches which can be turned off and on remotely to reboot the cameras.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Security cams around the house and on the tank, especially when I travel. An eye on the reef is better than notifications on my phone.

dnprall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Online viewing: Do you have a web camera for your aquarium?

Have you set up your tank for remote viewing? Whether you want to follow up on an alarm when you aren’t home, do a wellness check on your tank from a distance, or just stare at your tank from afar, a web camera can be an interesting addition to the technology that supports your tank and expands your capabilities. Do you have a web camera for your reef tank? Have you thought about adding one? Do you have any recommendations or maybe things to avoid? In the following discussion thread, please tell us about your thoughts about installing and using a aquarium web cam!

Hasted_Webcam.jpeg

Photo by @Hasted
What is this set up you use? Looks cool!!!

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I setup a camera when I am going out for a few days.
It came with an amazon order for an extra 5 dollars. Cheapest camera ever.

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is on a wall across from lots of glass so I'd love to have one but I'm afraid most of the time I'd be seeing a reflection of whatever's going on outside.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought one of these last week, timely thread!

I’m going to mount it on the ceiling so I can pan/tilt to view the sump and the tank.
I have an older v3 on mine currently and I just bought one of these for my front driveway area and it has been great so far even in the rain/snow!
I am planning to get a second for my tank room and move the v3 into the sump cabinet

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a living room camera. since we have a new pup my GF and i want to keep an eye on him since we’re renting. it’s too far to get a clear view of the tank.
You both are very brave. I work from home, but when I leave home mine goes into a playpen attached to a crate. He ate 1/2 my couch one day after months of being perfect - at least it was just the couch :grinning-squinting-face:

C3226CCD-5586-4F70-9FD4-873FF65DB40D.jpeg

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, I have a cam in my equipment/frag tank room. To help remote fish sitters if something goes wrong.

View before lights are fully on.
1680288751924.png

View with lights on
1680288821963.png
I’d love to see some more pictures of your fish room if you care to share! I’m doing a tank build with fish room in my basement right now.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back