Only half of the polyps are opening

blackflme

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm very new to coral. I just got a 5 frags from a swap meet 3-4 weeks ago. I put them in and they opened up almost immediately. However half of the polyps on one of the two zoas were staying closed. I thought the flow in that area might be too high so I moved and rotated the problem zoa and it seemed to help. But I'm still noticing that the same polyps that weren't opening at all still don't look happy. One polyp in particular seems to not be opening at all and is reaching toward the light.

20180409_132854.jpg

Water Parameters
Amm 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0-5, phos 0.25, Calc 380, Alk 9, Temp 78F

I just did this water test and realize the Calcium is a little low. Last week when I checked it was at 400. I did a small 10 water change thinking it would come up. I guess I'll have to do a slightly bigger change. However, I was having this problem with it at 400.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and Welcome to R2R.

That calcium value is fine, I doubt the Rasta are affect by it.

Check at night for Zoanthid eating nudibranch and other pest, wait until the lights have been out for hours. If it does not get better consider dipping it.

OP
OP
blackflme

blackflme

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'll take a look. I did dip them when I first got them a few weeks ago. So maybe try again?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just wait and watch for now, the other polyps look good.

OP
OP
blackflme

blackflme

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks. From pictures a nudibranch looks like the size of a small polyp. Is that right?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup or a tad smaller, you would definitely know one if you saw one if you googled images. :)

It was pretty common for my Rasta colony to have a couple closed polyps.

OP
OP
blackflme

blackflme

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after about 4 weeks the problem seemed to get a little worse. It grew into 80-90% of the polyps being closed and opening randomly throughout the day. I decided to give the rastas a dip. The only things I noticed were two worms that came off. I thought I saw something that looked like nudibranch eggs, but I never saw any actual nudibranchs. We will see what the dip does.

I keep hearing advice being given to others like, "be patient" and "don't make too many changes frequently." With my lack of experience I'm having a hard time discerning between letting the corals/tank do its thing and needing immediate attention. But with the problem only getting worse after about 6 weeks I think it was time for a dip. I'm curious what you guys think about this.

OP
OP
blackflme

blackflme

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solved.

Salinity was too high. I had read that some zoas like lower salinity. So i lowered it to 1.024 and still no luck. I read once again, that high salinity is the most common problem. So i checked with my refractometer, instead of the swing arm, and found it was at 1.026. So it was probably at 1.027 or 1.028 before. My swing arm suddenly was reading low. A few months ago it matched my refractometer perfectly and i thought the swing arm was easier, so i just used that. I tossed the swing arm and learned a lesson. Refractometer only.

Thanks for the help guys.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solved.

Salinity was too high. I had read that some zoas like lower salinity. So i lowered it to 1.024 and still no luck. I read once again, that high salinity is the most common problem. So i checked with my refractometer, instead of the swing arm, and found it was at 1.026. So it was probably at 1.027 or 1.028 before. My swing arm suddenly was reading low. A few months ago it matched my refractometer perfectly and i thought the swing arm was easier, so i just used that. I tossed the swing arm and learned a lesson. Refractometer only.

Thanks for the help guys.

Don't forget to calibrate your refractometer with with RODI or calibration fluid often! :)

OP
OP
blackflme

blackflme

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I did calibrate it with the calibration fluid.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back