Only one powerhead for 30g reef tank

Enogen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, we noticed yesterday that one of our 2 (jebao WP25) powerheads in our 30g bowfront tank has stopped working, judging by the cyano that we've had lately it probably has been dead for a while. We've had a hard time finding a replacement as they have been discontinued, and might have to buy a whole new set. I took everything apart and cleaned it and it's still not working.

My question is, is there a way we can set up the remaining powerhead that will give enough flow to the whole tank? Or do we absolutely need to get a replacement?

TIA

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you also have a return pump (either from a sump or a canister)? You may be able to randomize the flow from the return to help with the flow (such as a VCA random flow generator or a DIY clover nozzle).

OP
OP
E

Enogen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you also have a return pump (either from a sump or a canister)? You may be able to randomize the flow from the return to help with the flow (such as a VCA random flow generator or a DIY clover nozzle).
Unfortunately not, we're using a HOB filter and protein skimmer

OP
OP
E

Enogen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now the powerhead is near the top of the tank, which to my understanding is necessary for oxygen exchange. I am wondering if I could safely move it down a bit to give more flow to the bottom of the tank since we have a protein skimmer running which should be putting lots of oxygen in the water.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The flow, filtration, etc. will add limitations for what may thrive in your tank, but that creates an interesting challenge to solve. You may want to check out the inappropriate reefer's you tube series on on budget reef tank where he uses a HOB filter.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move it around to see how things react. If you have a build up of stuff/dead spots or the corals don't like it, you will know.

I would love to run just one powerhead on my 29 gallon, but based on my rockwork arrangement I have two. When one stops working it just isn't enough sway for my corals.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back