Only Power supply 24V

stefano18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I've got a 30g reef, whit sump and a ton on things.
Many things, as two wave maker, skimmer, level keeper, Algae turf's light are 24V dc.
So i've got many big power supply for each item.
I was wondering if I could use a only Power Supply 24V, because every item has got its plug connector, so I neither cut any wires.
Sum of all things is less to 50W. So i'm gonna eventually buy a 60W/100W, 24V Power supply.

Could it be a problem? Maybe something like electric disturb or like that!

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they sell so called outlet savers on Amazon…I got dozens…
I also cop those ipv6 type surge protectors as they have the wider spaces between outlets …

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 17

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and I think you have to re-wire the ports for the connections..unless they have an adapter
They have adapter cables for both voltages. It will accept 8x 24V devices and 4x 12V devices... Also has a battery backup port you can connect a 12V battery to... Only really makes sense for someone who is also doing/planning on doing other Hydros things

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that now.......additional $15.00 per adapter x 8 ...$120.00 additional just for the adapters.....agree only makes sense if all Hydros system.....

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that now.......additional $15.00 per adapter x 8 ...$120.00 additional just for the adapters.....agree only makes sense if all Hydros system.....
yeh, they use GX12-2 (for 12v) and GX12-4 (for 24v), so in theory, you could just buy a bunch of connectors for like 10-12 dollars and use your existing cables to make your own direct connection instead of using one of their $15 adapter cables. But that also means cutting and soldering your existing wires which some may not want to do for resale value...

zerokewl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really you only need a meanwell power supply that's 24v and add up how ever many watts you need or might need and wire up appropriate female connectors to it . That would eliminate power bricks and required outlets . It's a 100$ project

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kraken is the only commercial one so far in the aquarium market. The simplest is of course wiring a bunch of outlets to one larger power supply. Grab some DC jacks, a case, some wire, a suitable power supply, and go to town.

That Hiree box is interesting but very low power (100ma per port, and not 24V).

There are a few efforts here on the forum, e.g. I built https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tired-of-ac-bricks-try-the-dcbuddy.1009642/ for myself for this same reason. Its easy to complicate these more, but they don't strictly require it.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 139 75.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.9%
Back