Only testing ALK when using TM All-for-Reef dosing?

Ky_acc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I am planning to use Tropic Marin All-For-Reef (all in one dosing solution for ALK/Calcium/Mag.) is there any point in testing for anything aside from ALK?

Since I cant adjust any of these elements independently due to the combined dosing solution -I am thinking it only really makes sense to test for ALK.

Anyone have any thoughts on this, or general experience dosing All-For-Reef?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you need to check both CA and Mg along with Alk. Consumption rates can be different requiring some adjustment. I believe the Tropic Marin recommends same.

That said..my LPS fairly low load tank hasn't required any adjustments in 6 months other than daily add of AfR

Mr.Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning to use All-for-Reef on my 10 gallon and had the same question. Didn’t feel comfortable not having control of parameters separately so I’ve ordered BRS 2 part.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I am planning to use Tropic Marin All-For-Reef (all in one dosing solution for ALK/Calcium/Mag.) is there any point in testing for anything aside from ALK?

Since I cant adjust any of these elements independently due to the combined dosing solution -I am thinking it only really makes sense to test for ALK.

Anyone have any thoughts on this, or general experience dosing All-For-Reef?

I would test calcium weekly or less. Then less and less often if it continues ok.

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using AFR for almost a year now and love it. I test Alk everyday and test Cal once a week and Mag 3 weeks. Every time I test Alk Cal and Mag are in line. Red Sea Reefer 250 64 Gallon total volume. ATM dosing 35 ml a day. was getting a little costly but now I am mixing my AFR with TM products. I found this on BRS and it has cut my cost by over 65%. SPS dominate

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using AFR for almost a year now and love it. I test Alk everyday and test Cal once a week and Mag 3 weeks. Every time I test Alk Cal and Mag are in line. Red Sea Reefer 250 64 Gallon total volume. ATM dosing 35 ml a day. was getting a little costly but now I am mixing my AFR with TM products. I found this on BRS and it has cut my cost by over 65%. SPS dominate
I just started dosing AFR on my 250. What dose did you start with? I set doser at 16 ml a day to start. I was dosing 8ml Alk and 7.8 ml of cal using seachem reef fusion 1&2. I am willing to deal with the higher cost if it’s worth it. Do you have to do any supplemental Alk or cal dosing while using AFR? When you first start using how long does it take for the Alk to start showing up? I read it takes a day or so for the bacteria in the tank to do it’s thing?

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had to do any supplementation to Alk Cal or Mag. As per TM 8.6ml of AFR will raise the Alk 0.5 in 25 gallons of water.
It takes about 24 hrs to see any adjustment change from AFR .

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back