Onyx / picasso Clownfish hosts

The new fish on the block

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 14, 2013
Messages
882
Reaction score
458
Location
Okaloosa, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all i recently purchased an pair of onyx clowns and want to get them an anemone what kind should I get. I also read about them losing color when hosting a BTA. Thanks and happy reefing!!
 
I've had 4 onyx clownfish lose the black color in a rose bta. 2 of them were rod's onyx, 1 was cquest, and 1 wild. My doni's picassos also lost the black in a rose bta. A gigantea would be best but they are hard to keep. You can try a H. Malu as I've seen onyx clowns keep the color in those.
 
Clowns are supposed to darken with age, especially Onyx Picasso clowns. both of mine have a host BTA and have never experienced color loss. what are you feeding your fish???
 
here's my Picasso clowns... took this pic after feeding some @ReefFrenzy .
these two are three years old and the black gets blacker.. please feel free to ask any questions you have as my tank is dedicated to them

12805664_10204147455646820_3508649809563493223_n.jpg
 
I put a snowflake and a Picasso in my tank last weekend. Within an hour the Picasso started hosting my toadstool. Finally last night I noticed the snowflake had finally joined in. I'd considered getting a bta since I don't have many corals in the tank right now. Now that they're happy with the toadstool no need for a bta and no chance of it stinging / killing anything else. :-)
 
I had (( still have one )) a pair of Salomon Island percs that lost almost all of their black when they were hosted by an M. doreensis ( LTA ). They regained a good deal of it when I switched that out for an S. haddoni.

Pictures;

When first released to the main tank,

SIPerc7.jpg


SIPerc8.jpg


First hosted by the LTA

SILTA2.jpg


SILTA3.jpg


6 months later,

percLTA.jpg


First time in the S. haddoni (( August 2009 ))

percLTA.jpg


3 months later

SIPerc3-1.jpg


SIPerc2-1.jpg
 
Wow! Great observation. I've never seen clowns change that drastically with different host nems. I wonder what caused it??
 
I have only heard clown fish losing color due to lack of light. However, we have a reef, if the light is not enough for the clown fish to keep color, the nem is not going to make it.....Also "It will get more black when it gets older" is not happening. If the clown you buy is 1 inch or bigger. What you see at that size is what you will have for the rest of the life of the clown :-)
 
Here's another example:

ORA picasso back in ~2006. Before RBTA:

DSC_0038.jpg


Same fish after a year or so in the RBTA:

DSC_0290.jpg
 
Thanks for sharing. But how do we prove that the color change/lost is due to the RBA?

Besides, most true percula clowns have more black color when young and lose all black color when mature (as I have seen). The true Onyx clowns keep the black color when mature .....

Here's another example:

ORA picasso back in ~2006. Before RBTA:

DSC_0038.jpg


Same fish after a year or so in the RBTA:

DSC_0290.jpg
 
I took all the rose anemones out of the clownfish tank and they regain the black color within a few months. Same tank/food/lighting/water just no rbta.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.0%
Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new