Open Brain Coral Feeding

Txag96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you go about feeding these guys? I admittedly didn't have the best husbandry a while back and I have not been able to keep them, but I also saw a comment recently about feeding them small inverts. I break up a krill or two once a week for my Anemone and it seems to be doing fine. Is it the same stuff you feed a Brain?

I have since gotten my tank stabilized and would like to add one or two.

I have a 60 Gal tank with a 10 gal sump/fuge
Lights are Corallife 4 foot LED
Parameters
Nitrates - 16 ppm
Phosphate - .08 ppm
Alk - 8.4 dKH
Cal - 445 ppm
Mag - 1300 ppm

I am doing regular water changes and staying close to those parameters without dosing. I am going to start dosing Alk and Cal next week after I get a few more tests done to see what I need to add to maintain even better.

Thanks,

OP
OP
T

Txag96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LPS love anything meaty, including krill, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, and even pieces of dinner shrimp if the coral is large enough.

Good luck!

So I guess my question is do you just put the meaty food on them and they take it in like the anemone or do you make a mashed up soup and turkey baster them with it or how?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a pic of the coral. If your referring to trachyphillia then I wouldn't feed it until you get a feeding response which could take weeks upon acclimating to a new environment. You'll start seeing it's feeding tentacles out at night which you can then offer it some mysis, reef cavier, etc. A couple times a week during the day I'd mix up oyster feast and reef roids and broadcast feed the tank to illicit a feeding response and then feed the coral some chunks from LRS reef frenzy. After a few weeks to a month every time food hits the water the trachyphillia shows a feeding response. I like using a turkey baster to spot feed the meaty foods.

OP
OP
T

Txag96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
full

Can you post a pic of the coral. If your referring to trachyphillia then I wouldn't feed it until you get a feeding response which could take weeks upon acclimating to a new environment. You'll start seeing it's feeding tentacles out at night which you can then offer it some mysis, reef cavier, etc. A couple times a week during the day I'd mix up oyster feast and reef roids and broadcast feed the tank to illicit a feeding response and then feed the coral some chunks from LRS reef frenzy. After a few weeks to a month every time food hits the water the trachyphillia shows a feeding response. I like using a turkey baster to spot feed the meaty foods.

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually feed the fish and mine swells up and throws out its small tentacles just around the rim. Throw some mysis or pellets on it and let them ride the conveyor belt to one of the mouths. It usually takes a good 20-30 minutes to fully ingest everything. Sometimes, I'll spray some mysis juice towards my LPS to get them to throw out their tentacles before feeding. From my experience, the flatter, less folded brains are more finicky and will shed any food you place on them if they are not hungry, but folded brains seem less picky.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back