Open Brain question

Jguido1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I was curious if this is common or has happened to any others in the past. I have an open brain coral that seems to be doing great. It did so great that today it ate my new mandarin dragonnette. I noticed the mandarin sitting inside the coral earlier today and didn't think much of it because my small clown goby would do this all the time and is/was half the size of the mandarin. A few hrs later the mandarin was about halfway inside one of the mouths of the brain. And now it's total gone. Has this happened to anyone else before? Is this something I should worry about for the clown goby? I do feed this brain coral he eats on the regular. I'm sure there isn't much I can do to prevent this from happening again, but just curious if anyone has experienced this?
Sorry no pictures I thought of it too late.
Thanks for the help.

KJ Coral shop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cra
Hello all,
I was curious if this is common or has happened to any others in the past. I have an open brain coral that seems to be doing great. It did so great that today it ate my new mandarin dragonnette. I noticed the mandarin sitting inside the coral earlier today and didn't think much of it because my small clown goby would do this all the time and is/was half the size of the mandarin. A few hrs later the mandarin was about halfway inside one of the mouths of the brain. And now it's total gone. Has this happened to anyone else before? Is this something I should worry about for the clown goby? I do feed this brain coral he eats on the regular. I'm sure there isn't much I can do to prevent this from happening again, but just curious if anyone has experienced this?
Thanks for the help.
Hello all,
Thanks for the help.
crazy! Was the mandrian skinny?

OP
OP
Jguido1987

Jguido1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was new. He was skinny but eating. Not the worst I have seen from a lfs. A few tail nips and fin nips. He was small prop only about a 1/1.5 inch in total length.

OP
OP
Jguido1987

Jguido1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a quick phone pic of what's left of the tail sticking out

IMG_2856.JPG

KJ Coral shop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was new. He was skinny but eating. Not the worst I have seen from a lfs. A few tail nips and fin nips. He was small prop only about a 1/1.5 inch in total length.
That is a bummer:( probably just weak. Would not worry about the clown goby. Have had them make homes in elegance corals 2 feet big.

OP
OP
Jguido1987

Jguido1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I was very surprised that this would even happen Bc the clown goby spends so much time there and even sleeps there overnight most of the time.

OP
OP
Jguido1987

Jguido1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another question

Today I noticed that the brain coral "passed" the half digested dead fish from one mouth to another. The two mouths were completely on the ends of the corals body. It was interesting to see that, but it did make me wonder.

I was wondering how does this type of coral feed? When I feed either pellets or shrimp, I never really see what mouth the food goes in. There are 3 mouths maybe even 4 now that it has grown, I will have to take a close look tm. But should I be making sure that each mouth is getting its own food? If so does anyone have any suggestions on how to do so, Bc when it feeds its just kinda puffs up and surrounds the food.

I was also wondering if that because it doesn't have separate heads and looks to be essentially just one body with multiple mouths/stomachs, can/does one mouth/stomach have the ability to pass the nutrion throughout the entire coral's body?

This coral is very different then others that I have w seperate heads/bodies.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back