Open or close tank

Faizal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm planning my first reef tank. It will be in my living room. I like to have an open tank, but I also have a parrot. is it a risc to have an open tank, do I need a closed tank to avoid the risc of bad stuff in my tank ?

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you mean a cover? Wouldn’t hurt but not sure what harm the parrot could do. Is it flying free?

Sweetreef21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its really entirely up to you. A netted screen top is ideal but as far as your parrot goes it will learn its lesson quickly if it ever decides to fly over and check it out lol. Ive always ran my tanks open top no problem except for my cat jumped in once, it was the first and last time!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would recommend a net top to keep fish in and most of the feathers out. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its really entirely up to you. A netted screen top is ideal but as far as your parrot goes it will learn its lesson quickly if it ever decides to fly over and check it out lol. Ive always ran my tanks open top no problem except for my cat jumped in once, it was the first and last time!

I had the same experience with a cat. She used to walk around the top edge of the tank until that one time.... :oops:

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My red lorried amazon, Alura, has been with me for over 30 years now. She doesn't fly much, but as with any parrot, there's a bit of dust from her feathers. No big deal, never impacted my aquarium. I've no worries that she's going to land in my tank... but I'd laugh my rear off if she did :)

I tried, hard, to run a topless aquarium. It's a long, fat, low tank, with a bar surround, and a high, hanging lights. It looks way better with no top. Defended my decision on several occasions, but eventually, I gave it up. Bought a clear framed screen top from Octo Aquatics. Expensive, but it looks great, and I haven't lost a fish since.

I may one day run an open top aquarium again... but if I do, it'll be stocked with pipefish, box fish, bottom dwelling scorpionfish, anglers, etc. Fish that simply can't generate enough speed to jump out of a tank :p

Short of that, nope, I can't recommend topless.

OP
OP
F

Faizal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you mean a cover? Wouldn’t hurt but not sure what harm the parrot could do. Is it flying free?
Sorry for my English, I don't mean a net cover but a total closed taank with the led lights insight. A parrot can bring illness in the tank ?

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
net top all the way. I had glass tops at first and a nightmare keeping clean with salt creep etc. Unless the parrot is pooping in tank the net would suffice to keep most out

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No top. Just don’t stock wrasses etc.

A lot depends on the tank..... A beautiful starfire rimless tank is like an art piece in your living room.... no way I’d put a top on it. If it has a plastic lined bracing all around it, then put a canopy on it. my $0.02

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What could possibly go wrong?

Here is my cat Wyatt telling me "I told you to rinse the sand"

20171220_185207.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back