Open Window Aquarium Smell

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I can’t find an answer to this question. My aquarium is in my basement. I have all windows closed, tank has zero smell. I can stick my head in sump and cannot smell the aquarium water.

I wanted to increase pH so I crack a few windows, within an hour the basement has a fishy smell. The sump suddenly has odor, carbon or not.

I close the windows and overnight the smell is gone and sump no longer smells.

It’s the most bizarre thing, I’m wondering if increase in oxygen is causing bacterial blooms that create odor? I can’t see any water cloudiness.

Anyone else experience this? Windows open helps pH tremendously but I prefer the no odor with windows closed.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do other people confirm that there is no smell? Perhaps you've gone noseblind, and opening the window caused air movement which caused you to smell it for the first time even though it was always there.

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do other people confirm that there is no smell? Perhaps you've gone noseblind, and opening the window caused air movement which caused you to smell it for the first time even though it was always there.

Confirmed with other people because I thought I was crazy. No odor with windows closed.

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure the smell isn't from outside or the basment?

Im starting to think it may be the outside air mixing with basement, although it is definetly a fishy smell , I also stick my head in the sump to observe this and it’s definetly coming from the water

radfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not smell the musty odor from my HVAC until we recently opened the windows. The fresh air and reduced co2 made my nose more sensitive...

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not smell the musty odor from my HVAC until we recently opened the windows. The fresh air and reduced co2 made my nose more sensitive...

Interesting, but is that why the smell was then noticed because of reduced co2/ fresh air? Seems odd

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I experience the same as OP but not every time. It's weird but I dont find the smell too terrible so I ignore it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back