Opinions about my new tank

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is prime the same as conditioner? I have been using conditioner for the new freshwater.

Like someone else said above, get some Fritz Turbo 9000. It will be refrigerated. You could also use the unrefrigerated 900 or Dr Tims. You need to start building that bacteria population ASAP. Your ammonia should read 0 ppm. Anything higher is harming your inhabitants. Prime will rid the ammonia, but it is only a bandage for the bigger issue of needing more nitrifying bacteria.

Edit:

Your nitrates look high because you have nitrite in your tank. That gives you a false high reading on your nitrates. Both ammonia and nitrite should read 0 ppm. I wouldn't bother reading nitrate until both ammonia and nitrite are 0 ppm.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will look nice. I would be careful adding new 'live rock' that might have a fair bit of things that may 'die' and cause problem - I think you have a nice bit of rock already - when it comes time - would add 'live' soft corals or whatever - but not necessarily more rock. If the ammonia is that high - you could consider adding 'prime' - unless you did already - in which case the level will remain high even though its not causing a problem.

Yes I did some water change this morning, but with a conditioner. Someone here recommended me to get prime from seachem, so I will be getting it today.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t fell bad. That’s is what forums are for.

Follow a plan and will be fine. Can the LFS hold the inhabitants. If not you will need to do some water changes, dose prime and bacteria like fritz or Tim’s. Keep monitoring the ammonia until it is undetected.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like someone else said above, get some Fritz Turbo 9000. It will be refrigerated. You could also use the unrefrigerated 900 or Dr Tims. You need to start building that bacteria population ASAP. Your ammonia should read 0 ppm. Anything higher is harming your inhabitants. Prime will rid the ammonia, but it is only a bandage for the bigger issue of needing more nitrifying bacteria.
Don’t fell bad. That’s is what forums are for.

Follow a plan and will be fine. Can the LFS hold the inhabitants. If not you will need to do some water changes, dose prime and bacteria like fritz or Tim’s. Keep monitoring the ammonia until it is undetected.
Ask your lfs if they would hold the anemone and a fish atleast

So should I stop using the stability from seachem then? If I am going to be using the Fritz?
And the anemone I think I am just going to return it. I am not too happy about the way is looking!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes I did some water change this morning, but with a conditioner. Someone here recommended me to get prime from seachem, so I will be getting it today.
What I meant was that some 'conditioners' can cause a false positive ammonia reading. I'm surprised that your anemone looks as good as it does with an ammonia of .5. But anything is possible

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I meant was that some 'conditioners' can cause a false positive ammonia reading. I'm surprised that your anemone looks as good as it does with an ammonia of .5. But anything is possible

I dunno, I feel like the anemone is dead for some reason :( she moved last night, but lets see tonight. Im thinking of bringing them to my LFS so they can hold them for me while I fix the water.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used the Fritz but it is supposed to work. In my QT tanks, BioSpira has worked better than Dr. Tims. Be careful of adding too much bacteria in a bottle as it can consume too much oxygen. I had a touch of ammonia in a QT tank and BioSpira cleared it in a day, along with a water change. I don't see what filter material is in the tank.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used the Fritz but it is supposed to work. In my QT tanks, BioSpira has worked better than Dr. Tims. Be careful of adding too much bacteria in a bottle as it can consume too much oxygen. I had a touch of ammonia in a QT tank and BioSpira cleared it in a day, along with a water change. I don't see what filter material is in the tank.

Hi, For filter I am using activated carbon and zeolite crystal mix, and carbon foam activated filter.

mrjoev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do

Do you know of a ammonia badge that is reliable?? Like brand ?
I have them on my QT tanks but they are... mehh soso. The Fritz 9000 will eat the ammonia and cycle your tank.

Also it does not look like anyone has mentioned to use water filtration unit and then add salt let it mix and heat for 24 hours before you put it in the tank, and you can leave lets the left over salt water in the tank sealed for next time you need it. I have a RODI system and LOVE IT. Most stores will sell RODI water( pricey) but your going to be saving money using your own system at home. You look Petite like my wife and she hated caring the SEVERAL 5 gallon jugs of water.

It sounds like the fish store sold you on the Live rock and Live sand , and Live water. i know the show "Tanked" uses it but i don't have any experience with it. all you need is one cup of live sand from a friends tank you trust and that will speed up your sandbed cycle.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does your anemone look the same as it does in the picture? It doesn't look dead there. If in fact it is dead - get it out as soon as possible (that might be what's causing your ammonia?)

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your anemone look the same as it does in the picture? It doesn't look dead there. If in fact it is dead - get it out as soon as possible (that might be what's causing your ammonia?)

Yes , like this:
AB275A88-C12A-45F3-B3B6-ACE90D99B963.jpeg
And water pump off, like this:
DE2D480F-160A-4C91-943B-8927D5914EC4.jpeg

mrjoev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She looks fine to me. but as a general rule of thumb, Wait 4 to 12 months before getting any Nems. She might start walking around the tank to find her sweet spot. if she turns in to a ball and stays that way for a few days she is Gone and you need to take her out before she explodes and might kill your tank. As long as your water is stable and you stay on top of your water changes your Golden.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add fish the same day I set tanks up. Just go light on the feedings. Maybe once every 2 to 3 days. Keep a eye on the anemone. He will be able to tell you about the water parameters. Watch fish for labored breathing too which will be a sign for a water change. Keep testing and doing water changes as needed.

Everything introduced depletes and/or adds something to the tank. Tank and inhabitants will adjust with in reason.
Slow changes is the key. Add to much at once and shock/crash the system, do little changes and everything adjusts.

I ran a 6 day cycle on mine with a bta and a pair of clowns and a bottle of bacteria.

Now my clowns and anemone live in my sump. They’ve been going for 6 months now.

You May have jumped the gun according to some, but you’re in my comfort zone. This will be a excellent experience for you that will help with this hobby.

Now is the tough part and you will have to wait for the tank to adjust for the fish. After a week or 2 it will compensate. Then you can start thinking about what next to add. Clean up crew (CUC) is also a good indicator for water quality on a new. start up

Don’t worry. You got this!

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them on my QT tanks but they are... mehh soso. The Fritz 9000 will eat the ammonia and cycle your tank.

Also it does not look like anyone has mentioned to use water filtration unit and then add salt let it mix and heat for 24 hours before you put it in the tank, and you can leave lets the left over salt water in the tank sealed for next time you need it. I have a RODI system and LOVE IT. Most stores will sell RODI water( pricey) but your going to be saving money using your own system at home. You look Petite like my wife and she hated caring the SEVERAL 5 gallon jugs of water.

It sounds like the fish store sold you on the Live rock and Live sand , and Live water. i know the show "Tanked" uses it but i don't have any experience with it. all you need is one cup of live sand from a friends tank you trust and that will speed up your sandbed cycle.

I have no friends with fishtanks haha, but yes the water boxes are so heavy, it’s a workout!!
I will get the badge just to have it atleast. Also, yes I am going to see if I can find the Fritz . I hope I can find it!!!

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She looks fine to me. but as a general rule of thumb, Wait 4 to 12 months before getting any Nems. She might start walking around the tank to find her sweet spot. if she turns in to a ball and stays that way for a few days she is Gone and you need to take her out before she explodes and might kill your tank. As long as your water is stable and you stay on top of your water changes your Golden.

She moved twice last night lol . It freaked me out.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back