Opinions on icecap vs maxspect gyre quality

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What do you think on the quality of the icecap gyre vs maxspect? Yes I know, the design is from maxspect and was licensed to Coralvue to make the icecap gyre. Other articles have mentioned maxspect has more sophisticated controls, but I haven’t found a comparison on quality, pump only.

My goal is to be able to control these with a hydros wave maker. Since I’d be using hydros as the controller, that replaces any “sophisticated controls” that would come with using the maxspect controller with the gyre right?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help with the question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some assistance

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump
I'm using a set of Icecap 2k that's been good but also wondered how do they compare to maxspect.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a big gyre fan but I will say that if I were to buy one I would get the IceCap. We sell lots of parts and many of the parts are identical. The parts that people replace the most like the rubber and ceramic bushings are interchangeable between many of the Maxpect and IceCap models. The motors are different but they don't seem to be replaced as much as the other parts. Given that the IceCap is cheaper I would go IceCap. There has also been almost no parts availability for Maxpect since the change in US distributor. IceCap parts are still readily available.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back