Optical Sensor issues - always open

98dak83cam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Having a little trouble setting up a used ATK. My optical sensors are always reading open and they do not change regardless of being in or out of water.

FMM firmware updated - yes
Optical sensor wires plugged in and seated into FMM ports 1 and 2 - check

Under FMM configuration I am on auto detect/ Optical for both ports 1 and 2.

My FMM is connected via aquabus to my eb832.

My pump gets power from one of my 24V outlets on the eb832.
I can tun the port on and off via apex. The PMUP pump is always on ( unless I shut it off) because it thinks by sump is low.

Question - I do not have a 24 power supply connected to the FMM, does the FMM get power for the optical sensors through the aquabus?

Thanks!

(Here is my code:)

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Swx3_1 OPEN Then ON
If Swx3_2 CLOSED Then OFF
When On > 005:00 Then OFF
Defer 000:10 Then ON
Defer 000:04 Then OFF
Min Time 000:01 Then OFF

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you've done all the troubleshooting steps I would have recommended in my ATK Tutorial article. The FMM only needs the 24v power adpater if you connect the PMUP or a solenoid to the FMM accessory port. If you're only using the FMM for optical, flow, or leak sensors then only AquaBus is required.

The only other thing I'd suggest is to force another firmware update to the FMM, even if it reports that it's up to date, then disconnect and reconnect the FMM's AquaBus cable. This helped me one time in a similar situation.

OP
OP

98dak83cam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you've done all the troubleshooting steps I would have recommended in my ATK Tutorial article. The FMM only needs the 24v power adpater if you connect the PMUP or a solenoid to the FMM accessory port. If you're only using the FMM for optical, flow, or leak sensors then only AquaBus is required.

The only other thing I'd suggest is to force another firmware update to the FMM, even if it reports that it's up to date, then disconnect and reconnect the FMM's AquaBus cable. This helped me one time in a similar situation.
I did do another firmware update but I did not disconnect/reconnect the AquaBus cable after. I'll give it a try. If that does not work I assume get new optical sensors? I was going to get a third one anyway for watching the level in my ATO reservoir. I could use it for troubleshooting. Thanks for the info so far.
Josh

goggs29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Try lightly cleaning the aqua bus port while powered of with some rubbing alcohol and a q tip. Previous owner may have had it in the sump area. Also swap out aquabus cable they get finicky to at times

OP
OP

98dak83cam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try lightly cleaning the aqua bus port while powered of with some rubbing alcohol and a q tip. Previous owner may have had it in the sump area. Also swap out aquabus cable they get finicky to at times
Good idea, I'm on it.

OP
OP

98dak83cam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unhooked the aquabus, cleaned, looked good, hooked back up. No luck.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is odd. I have had issues with the optical sensors, but always stuck closed not open. Seems unlikely both sensors would fail at the same time. Might want to check with Neptune, I believe their customer support line is still open.

OP
OP

98dak83cam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the unit used, so I'm not sure what the history is. The probability of both sensors being bad seems low, especially stuck open. I do have one new os-1 version 2 on the way for troubleshooting. It is hard to tell if I have two bad sensors or a bad FMM module??

OP
OP

98dak83cam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update for anyone coming across this in a search in the future. I put in a ticket to neptune today. They were able to get into my fusion account and determine that I have one bad sensor and one good sensor. So one is now working and the other is bad. I don't know what they did on there end to get it working but they did have me watch in apex.local because the change on the slider bar is much faster than the delayed visual in fusion. Hope it helps someone.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 45 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back