OR3 Violet reef day 48" blue leds not violet.

Cooter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue white light or violet white light? Blue says I and Orpheks technician. But Orphek says the blue lights in this bar are violet 415nm -432nm .

What says you guys?

20240108_231841.jpg
20240108_231900.jpg

Not_Erick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture, especially of a reef light isn’t going to be easy to tell by, best bet to google light model number and go off of eBay the manufacturer says

OP
OP
Cooter

Cooter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you've got pictures and videos of the actual light you ordered and they are violet purple like the actual light and videos they offered themselves in various videos of the OR3 Violet Reef day 415nm peaking to 432 nm showing purple light coming out the LEDs in every one of thier vids selling it.

But you cant see that in a video......lol. Thanks for the laugh brother I needed it.

And no flourescense from this light they sent me whatsoever none absolutely none. And at that range 415nm peaking at 432nm there would be quite a bit. That's why I bought it. These were checked nowhere near that.

I'm new to your forum not to this hobby 40yrs in it. I owned operated Strictly Fishes in Las Vegas nv for 10 yrs with my ex wife. From mid eighties to mid nineties. The old MH/HPS and super actinic fluorescent and Osram days for corals and reef tanks.

And legally grew for several comms up until 2011 using MH/HPS/LEDs so I'm experienced with them all in more than one area.

Brother I would never make a frivolous claim or try to pull a fast one not in my character or nature.

Had this light they sent me been proper to what they said it was on their ads and videos pushing it, I'd be happy and this would have never been a conversation.

Also thier own tech said they are the incorrect LEDs for OR3 violet reef day. But I guess he wouldn't know either.

He also said they dont make a Strictly blue and white light bar OR3 48" but yet I've got one.

PayPal has got it now I'll let them handle it. My request wasnt a outrageous one to them, let me return this light to you and send me the correct one.

Like thier tech said " the assembler was slipping or sleeping that day and put the wrong LEDs in it". But thier response was they dont make mistakes ....if the stickers on it are right it's the right light.

BS..everybody makes mistakes nobody is infallible, if a person thinks they are then they are a arrogant idiot. Anybody can be wrong me, you, them, and on this one they are.

All they had to do was take the light back see for themselves send me the right one.

But that was too much like right and since this one was shipped from China instead of here in the US from a distributor here like the OR3 Blue Sky I bought from them was.

They wanted me to pay shipping back to China instead of just shipping it to a distributor here in the US for return.

It's their mistake why should I pay shipping back to them in China ?

I also have a OR3 Blue sky 48 I got from them, exactly as described very satisfied with it so it also wasnt my first purchase from them.

Also this so called OR3 Violet reef day when turned on beside the OR3 Bluesky the so called violet LEDs match the Blue sky LEDs in color except weaker in output with no flourescense.

Just explaining brothers that a lot more was done to check these LEDs than just looking at them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you've got pictures and videos of the actual light you ordered and they are violet purple like the actual light and videos they offered themselves in various videos of the OR3 Violet Reef day 415nm peaking to 432 nm showing purple light coming out the LEDs in every one of thier vids selling it.

But you cant see that in a video......lol. Thanks for the laugh brother I needed it.

And no flourescense from this light they sent me whatsoever none absolutely none. And at that range 415nm peaking at 432nm there would be quite a bit. That's why I bought it. These were checked nowhere near that.

I'm new to your forum not to this hobby 40yrs in it. I owned operated Strictly Fishes in Las Vegas nv for 10 yrs with my ex wife. From mid eighties to mid nineties. The old MH/HPS and super actinic fluorescent and Osram days for corals and reef tanks.

And legally grew for several comms up until 2011 using MH/HPS/LEDs so I'm experienced with them all in more than one area.

Brother I would never make a frivolous claim or try to pull a fast one not in my character or nature.

Had this light they sent me been proper to what they said it was on their ads and videos pushing it, I'd be happy and this would have never been a conversation.

Also thier own tech said they are the incorrect LEDs for OR3 violet reef day. But I guess he wouldn't know either.

He also said they dont make a Strictly blue and white light bar OR3 48" but yet I've got one.

PayPal has got it now I'll let them handle it. My request wasnt a outrageous one to them, let me return this light to you and send me the correct one.

Like thier tech said " the assembler was slipping or sleeping that day and put the wrong LEDs in it". But thier response was they dont make mistakes ....if the stickers on it are right it's the right light.

BS..everybody makes mistakes nobody is infallible, if a person thinks they are then they are a arrogant idiot. Anybody can be wrong me, you, them, and on this one they are.

All they had to do was take the light back see for themselves send me the right one.

But that was too much like right and since this one was shipped from China instead of here in the US from a distributor here like the OR3 Blue Sky I bought from them was.

They wanted me to pay shipping back to China instead of just shipping it to a distributor here in the US for return.

It's their mistake why should I pay shipping back to them in China ?

I also have a OR3 Blue sky 48 I got from them, exactly as described very satisfied with it so it also wasnt my first purchase from them.

Also this so called OR3 Violet reef day when turned on beside the OR3 Bluesky the so called violet LEDs match the Blue sky LEDs in color except weaker in output with no flourescense.

Just explaining brothers that a lot more was done to check these LEDs than just looking at them.
Digital cameras do not show the true colors of blue lights as you would see them in real Life that is why you can't tell from a picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Cooter

Cooter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Digital cameras do not show the true colors of blue lights as you would see them in real Life that is why you can't tell from a picture.
Well Dad, with the naked eye or camera these look the same. Blue just like in the photos. Unless eyes in person cant see the true blue color or purple color either.

Theres nothing close to 415nm- 432nm coming out these LEDs dad. Blue in real time eyeballing it blue when recorded or photographed as well. With not one bit of flourescense that 415-432nm would give.

But I appreciate your input brother thanks. Have a great day.

Last edited:

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read your first post. Now take that information only and tell us what other answer could be given? You want us to judge spectrum with that picture and that post? Then to come back with your second post full of information with an attitude?

OP
OP
Cooter

Cooter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read your first post. Now take that information only and tell us what other answer could be given? You want us to judge spectrum with that picture and that post? Then to come back with your second post full of information with an attitude?
Dad any attitude you're reading is coming out your head. If it's me calling you Dad that's bothering you.....Tough ****, it's the only name you've got up there lol, you can call me Cooter or Mr.Cooter if you like.

I just asked what you saw in the pic, trust me you'll see the same with your naked eyeball exactly the same blue. How since digital cameras cant record blue properly I dont know.

But naked eye and pic color on what I put up are exactly 100% the same blue.

Thank you once again for your input brother have a nice day.
☝️sincerely.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with Paypal.. Last time I had a problem with something that was actually shipped out of the US to me but needed to be returned via China PP was ZERO help. Basically implied company was willing to allow a return and refund if shipped to China therefore .. done.
AND the reason for the return was an actual bait and switch piece of merchandise no less.
Advertised one thing, got something COMPLETELY different.

Paypal doesn't work for you.

Fortunately my credit card company (which was what I choose to link w/ paypal) saw it differently and refunded my money.

Oddly enough the cc card I used was then involved w/ a fraud purchase. Also refunded.
I assume the orig. vendor compromised the card.
Just a fun story.

As to your blue thing, wasn't going to get involved but there are a few things here
1) Need pigments (and the right ones) to fluoresce (may be one issue)
2) Amount of white drowns out color
3) There is some violet in the photos but impossible to tell if it is an artifact or not not knowing the colors of things around it. Overall does give a reg. blue vibe.
4) Even that blue will fluoresce some pigments. See 2. Any blue close to royal should fluoresce something.
Even something on the table (straws and plastics are usually first) which is odd that nothing is glowing more than just reflected light.
BUT the camera exposure is probably part of that. Fast shutter/small aperture due to intense light.
Couldn't tell you much past that.

Well the thing is also that the camera is not like your eye. It really won't see "violet" as you do.
Not without some red in it. SOME camera can though. See article.
Why can't some cameras capture violet? Because sensors are used that cannot imitate the strange response of the cone cells to red light. Here you can see the light-response curves of a camera that captures violet as blue. The light-response curves of our phones cameras are similar to those of the graph above
Eyeball (red and blue = "purple")
0*VYcR4D2KZXb2UFTr.png

Camera... no "purple" without red.
0*A_fnKlNBQdsqGURr

Those whites if "cool", say 9000k or greater, have very little red.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cooter

Cooter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks brother appreciate your input, PayPal has come through for me every time I've been on there since 2000 it doesnt happen a lot this incident makes 6 in all that time.

I read those after Dad said what he said about the cameras I can dig it....but these look blue same blue naked eye or cam, no violet switching or any of that.

Naked eye blue...cam blue, same.

50% refund or pay shipping back to them and I'll send it to them . That's what I requested. And they offered 50% then nutted up on it. So I'll see how it goes. Have a good evening.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Blue white light or violet white light? Blue says I and Orpheks technician. But Orphek says the blue lights in this bar are violet 415nm -432nm .

What says you guys?

20240108_231841.jpg
20240108_231900.jpg
They are indeed violent based on spectrum and not to the naked eye

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks brother appreciate your input, PayPal has come through for me every time I've been on there since 2000 it doesnt happen a lot this incident makes 6 in all that time.

I read those after Dad said what he said about the cameras I can dig it....but these look blue same blue naked eye or cam, no violet switching or any of that.

Naked eye blue...cam blue, same.

50% refund or pay shipping back to them and I'll send it to them . That's what I requested. And they offered 50% then nutted up on it. So I'll see how it goes. Have a good evening.
Well you got me curious so I had to look at my acct.. 2001..
Only used the "complaint" thing once, pp failed miserably.
Actually they offered 10% or ship back to China.' See it was a lot like yours.
Thing was I had documents proving what they sent me was not what I bought. PP didn't care.
THAT was the annoying thing.

As to yours, well in all honesty PP had nothing to do with "fixing" your issue actually.
Now if PP refunded you that 50% and backed it off from Orphek well that would be another story.

Try covering the whites w/ electrical tape and then see the color.

OP
OP
Cooter

Cooter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are indeed violent based on spectrum and not to the naked eye

Is that why you can see the violet LEDs llluminated showing violet visually present in their own video beside the blue LEDs visually showing blue in thier video of the dimmer they are pushing as he ramps intensity up and down recording with a cam that cant record blue brother but shows blue in the video.

Also completey deenergized ( power off) the lights show no color spectrum indication at all. They all look clear so the blue and violet you see in thier video is coming from the respective LEDs.

New to the forum not the game.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/69rOXF4YTDVDD6cwkt" width="480" height="378" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that why you can see the violet LEDs llluminated showing violet visually present in their own video beside the blue LEDs visually showing blue in thier video of the dimmer they are pushing as he ramps intensity up and down recording with a cam that cant record blue brother but shows blue in the video.

Also completey deenergized ( power off) the lights show no color spectrum indication at all. They all look clear so the blue and violet you see in thier video is coming from the respective LEDs.

None of those have the intense amount of Blue/yellow light you have. I'm referring to the "whites" of course.

Violets have lower efficiencies than blue or (blue/phosphor) whites.

I'm still somewhat in agreement with you but ..not quite.
Even violet pump white COBS show a tinge of violet usually.

Interesting in the video that they are not actually "off" ever..

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/69rOXF4YTDVDD6cwkt" width="480" height="378" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

to a degree yes. The spectrum scale has many colors in it and few can be seen or recognized but detectable with wavelength and PAR meters

OP
OP
Cooter

Cooter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to a degree yes. The spectrum scale has many colors in it and few can be seen or recognized but detectable with wavelength and PAR meters
Well those violet and blue ones are sure showing up visually in that video. Lol Ring around the rosy eh? Too funny.

I'm done with it the vids pics above say it all.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ring around the rosy eh? Too funny.
violetcob.JPG

Like this.. SORRA 5400k COB
Like I said, I'd expect some trace of violet but there is a ton of blue/yellow glare and of course at full intensity.

What you posted proves you don't like them. Which of course is fine.
Doesn't prove what they are.
Though Like I also said.. they could be duds and leaning towards that atm.
Colors a funny thing at times.

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were those supposed to be "reef day" bars?
Or custom?
Reef day are, according to Orphek

OR3 12018 LEDS 18000K / 18 LEDS - 430 - 435nm
FULL SPECTRUM WHITE LEDs 18,000K AND VIOLET LEDs 430nm.

OP
OP
Cooter

Cooter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were those supposed to be "reef day" bars?
Or custom?
Reef day are, according to Orphek

OR3 12018 LEDS 18000K / 18 LEDS - 430 - 435nm
That's what I ordered brother, that dud thing you brought up may be a possibility or wrong LEDs which I believe and thier tech supported. But either way the mistake is thiers.
Screenshot_20240111-104030_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240111-104115_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240111-104134_Gallery.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back