ORA aptasia eating filefish acting weird

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a filefish in the mail a few days ago. Ever since it’s just been... odd. He kinda just swims against the glass for a while and then floats around to somewhere else and does it. He moves very slowly.
it’s a cycled tank with no ammonia. On his third day I added 2.5 mL of prazipro to the 10 gallon tank. I added 1 mL the second morning, 1 mL that night, and 0.5 mL the next morning. I have an oxygen pump adding oxygen to the tank.
I have tried adding food, Hikari carnivore mix and some frozen mysis shrimp and he didn’t care for either. I’ve tried every day since I got him.
Is he okay? / any idea what’s going on here?
My QT tank is currently at 1.024, his shipping salinity, while my DT is 1.026. Should I try to acclimate him so he has aptasia to eat? My DT currently also has prazi.

Last edited:

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THIS IS NOT WIERD!
First off, brand new fish in a brand new tank. I have a filefish, his name is Mortimer. He does the same thing now 6months later. hus favorite spot are under each wavemaker and the under overflow box. He does what he will. They are slow in general, but can make dashes of spooked. Dont spook your fish.

Attachments

• 16229102461413047726538200587014.jpg
    16229102461413047726538200587014.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 58

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those guys do kind of float around, so his swim style is a litte unique. Pp can have an effect on appetite and I'm not sure of your dosage, that's not how I dose and I don't believe that's the recomendation from Hikari. The dosage I use would be 2.5ml, then a second dose no sooner than 3 days I believe, I do the 2nd dose 5 days after the first dose, same 2.5ml.

OP
OP
djryan2000

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those guys do kind of float around, so his swim style is a litte unique. Pp can have an effect on appetite and I'm not sure of your dosage, that's not how I dose and I don't believe that's the recomendation from Hikari. The dosage I use would be 2.5ml, then a second dose no sooner than 3 days I believe, I do the 2nd dose 5 days after the first dose, same 2.5ml.
I gave the same dose. I simply spread out the dosage; I gave it over 3 intervals to get him used to the medication. I read a post by humblefish saying you could do it. I may not have been clear, I used 2.5 mL and not 5.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one that cleared out my aiptasia and seems to be a a big pig. Try some live brine shrimp. Funny thing mine is in a little predator tank that I feed live, and the little sucker steals the live ghost shrimp from the little waspfish and leaf fish.

OP
OP
djryan2000

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one that cleared out my aiptasia and seems to be a a big pig. Try some live brine shrimp. Funny thing mine is in a little predator tank that I feed live, and the little sucker steals the live ghost shrimp from the little waspfish and leaf fish.
Thank you! I’ll start hatching some tonight to try

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got one and it's tiny and holding onto a patch of algae on the glass like it's pretending to be a algae leaf. It's kind of cute. My puffer is quite confused at it.

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They take a bit to break out of their shyness. They're easily spooked and a bit "dazed" at first, but soon it should warm up and start scooting around. They swim more like a mandarin than a pelagic fish. Once it's comfortable, you'll see it inspecting everything verrrry closely. But I would second what the above post said. They can bolt surprisingly quick.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back