ORA Variegated Urchin Closeup Video - Zach's 120 Gallon Reef Resurgence

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was poking around last night and got this video of one of my ORA Variegated Urchins out and about. I love watching the guys scour the rock work looking for tasty algae to eat. They don't do squat against dinos but they seem to be doing well since I added them a month ago on 09/02/2017.

Check out my thread in my signature below to follow along my reef journey!

lotekfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting! I've been looking at these as I am building a tank that will attempt to be stocked with all captive bred species. Do you know how big they get? If a tank is new without a lot of algae growing I wonder if you would have to do supplemental feeding. I'm glad to see marine breeders continue to bring more interesting species to the market.

OP
OP
zachxlutz

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting! I've been looking at these as I am building a tank that will attempt to be stocked with all captive bred species. Do you know how big they get? If a tank is new without a lot of algae growing I wonder if you would have to do supplemental feeding. I'm glad to see marine breeders continue to bring more interesting species to the market.

Thanks for watching. They were tiny when I got them and seem to be growing fine. It's neat to watch them pick up shells, etc. I would supplement their diet with algae if you're placing them in a new tank. They are very mobile and will move around pretty quickly to find food, in my experience.

Max diameter: 110 mm/4.3 inches (https://www.sms.si.edu/irlspec/Lytech_varieg.htm)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back