OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Real deal pearlberry... how much did you end up paying for it. I’ve only had it once!!! And I need it back at some point.

Let’s just say the price has not gone down over the years haha.

I seem to remember this thing liking a ton of light, so I put it around 6” below the surface right under a bulb. Sound about right? @jda

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s just say the price has not gone down over the years haha.

I seem to remember this thing liking a ton of light, so I put it around 6” below the surface right under a bulb. Sound about right? @jda

A smart fella once told me that if you hit pearlberry with too much flow, it’ll grow dense enough to kind of snub the pearly shine a bit

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price of the classics that require no trick lighting have gone up over the years. A 1" multi-branch frag of real ORA Pearlberry is around $100-125 near me... $60-75 for single 3/4 to 1" branch.

I find that this one does not like any fast swings of any parameter including temp. I have a lot of lighting and it really shines. I have competent flow, but not too much.

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A smart fella once told me that if you hit pearlberry with too much flow, it’ll grow dense enough to kind of snub the pearly shine a bit

The spot I stuck it has got quite a bit of flow (whole tank does), but it’s not getting blasted directly. Don’t wanna be snubbin’ any shine though!

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price of the classics that require no trick lighting have gone up over the years. A 1" multi-branch frag of real ORA Pearlberry is around $100-125 near me... $60-75 for single 3/4 to 1" branch.

I find that this one does not like any fast swings of any parameter including temp. I have a lot of lighting and it really shines. I have competent flow, but not too much.

This was a little north of those prices, but it did come straight from the farm. I remember it being kinda sensitive. Makes me nervous in the new system honestly... I’ve got it baking under a radium now though so that’s good.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spot I stuck it has got quite a bit of flow (whole tank does), but it’s not getting blasted directly. Don’t wanna be snubbin’ any shine though!

Same here. Mine is getting about 400 par and pretty turbulent indirect flow with the occasional direct hit when the streams meet just right. I have one of the 0.5” $50 pieces JDA speaks of

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORA sizes can be mini colonies compared to what most people and see and keep. They are probably worth more since they are larger.

I have had the same people come and buy frags from me 5+ times because they kill it.

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it’s a good sized chunk for sure. Hoping I don’t kill it, but time will tell. My last one did really well but that tank was very mature.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#jda
What are the differences to look for between the real ORA Pearlberry and the fakes? Or is it not so easy to tell?
Thanks

It is easy to tell if 1). you have seen the real ORA Pearlberry and 2). you can see them in person OR get a really good photo under daylight.

Neither of these is easy to do a lot of times. We had a long thread on this a while back.

Leto987

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORA does have some Pearlberry available. I just received an order myself. My LFS said sometimes when it says out of stock or isn’t on the list, they will still have some if you ask. Pearlberry was rereleased about a month ago according to them. They do also have red planet, but the drag I got was a little small.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back