Orange algae (new tank)

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is about a month old and has got really bad orange algae growing on it. Anyone know how to get rid of it and if it is bad or not

OP
OP
finley

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is about a month old and has got really bad orange algae growing on it. Anyone know how to get rid of it and if it is bad or not

Attachments

• IMG_6036.jpeg
    IMG_6036.jpeg
    229.1 KB · Views: 81

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
totally normal for a new system. Diatoms are usually the first to pop up then should subside as the competing microfauna develops. Astrea and Cerith snails gobble that up. may be a good time to boost the clean up crew since they will have plenty to eat during the ugly stage of a new system.

reefcleaners has some great packages

OP
OP
finley

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
totally normal for a new system. Diatoms are usually the first to pop up then should subside as the competing microfauna develops. Astrea and Cerith snails gobble that up. may be a good time to boost the clean up crew since they will have plenty to eat during the ugly stage of a new system.

reefcleaners has some great packages
Is it ok to put corals in ? Specifically torch coral ?

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you're cycled, parameters are stable and water quality is good then yeah, as long as you've done the other care research for them. I wouldn't spend a ton of money on one until you've had a bit more time invested but that's just my 2 cents.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait until the tank matures; 3-6 months.
+1

although many have placed corals in systems <3 months running with some success, it's much safer to wait a few months until your system builds more biodiversity to handle nutrient swings and keep parameters stable. Stability is the key!!!

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend that for water quality ? Does the algae specifically do anything ?

The wait is to build up biodiversity in your rock/bio filtration that will in general allow your parameters to be more stable over time. Right now things will fluctuate a lot as new life is created and lost in an attempt to find a balance within the scale you've provided. That processes takes at least a few months to start settling but in general will continue well into and beyond your first year even.

The algae is mostly just an eyesore and is typically evidence of chemistry/nutrient changes which is why it's so common early in a tank's life.

OP
OP
finley

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wait is to build up biodiversity in your rock/bio filtration that will in general allow your parameters to be more stable over time. Right now things will fluctuate a lot as new life is created and lost in an attempt to find a balance within the scale you've provided. That processes takes at least a few months to start settling but in general will continue well into and beyond your first year even.

The algae is mostly just an eyesore and is typically evidence of chemistry/nutrient changes which is why it's so common early in a tank's life.
So wouldn’t recommend any corals yet ?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend that for water quality ? Does the algae specifically do anything ?

Once you tank is up and running, I would add a fish or two.

After 3-6 months, I would then begin adding Anemones, Corals and other fish.

OP
OP
finley

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you tank is up and running, I would add a fish or two.

After 3-6 months, I would then begin adding Anemones, Corals and other fish.
If I wait will the algae just dissapear or do I have to manually take it off rock and sand and glass ?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I wait will the algae just dissapear or do I have to manually take it off rock and sand and glass ?

No, you will have to clean it up. Some of your clean up crew may get some of it, but it won't vanish on its own.

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you could add corals now..... I would encourage it. Why? Cuz you want to and are going to do it so get started and make some learning mistakes early. Start with some xenia, green star polyps and some cheap mushrooms. These are hardy. I love them all but they'll all grow to the point that you'll regret them. Kinda like starting off your tank with some "cute" damsels. These corals are cheap and easy to find and when you lose them....well, just get some more. Then after 6 or so months from now, your tank will be "old" with "dirty" water full of amino acids and micro nutrients and you're more experienced and ready to move on to the more complicated and expensive ones you really want and now you have a good chance at success without having to go through the learning curve with expensive corals. Corals like old water. Corals like water changes. Corals like a little fudging on some water parameters. Some corals need expensive lights but most do fine with leds from the internet. (Lighting is one thing you'll have to experiment with, starting with your first corals and going on to..well...forever.) Don't get discouraged, there's a lot of luck envolved..and that's part of the fun. By the way, a lot of reefers like to act like there's a lot of strict rules that need to be followed. Balderdash. Every tank/situation is different. Just go slow. It's your tank, have fun and work it out yourself. When I first started salt water fish tanks, they all said keeping corals would always be impossible for the home aquarist. (That was in 1968.)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back