Orange Corraline plug from RUsalty

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone seen this product before? Is it really coralline algae? https://www.aquaculturenurseryfarms.com/sponge-world/fluorescent-orange-coralline-algae/
I have seen purple and pink cultures but never orange. Might be interesting to add and see what happens.
Orange Coralline does exist, though I have never come across it in the hobby. ARC Reef (behind Purple Helix and Pink Fusion) was working on culturing orange Coralline on their live rock, though. Neat find!
Image from Wikipedia's Coralline algae page:
1649958115319.png

Attachments

• 1649958097015.png
    1649958097015.png
    2 MB · Views: 53
OP
OP
B

bestfishes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I keep misspelling coralline, so didnt find when I searched originally ;-) Maybe someday ill get it right. I just bought some and will give it a try and report back.

OP
OP
B

bestfishes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the promised update. I got the piece yesterday. It was not shipped properly (no heat pad and it got cold on the shipping day between FL and GA. When I opened the bag is smelled like death. About half the piece was grey, the rest orange. After placing in my quarantine tank overnight, it still stinks like all get out. I have no intention of placing this in my main tank considering this. Went back to Rusalty on their "arrive alive guarantee". They dont seem eager to respond or honor it. That will be my last purchase from Rusalty.
1650464781629.png

OP
OP
B

bestfishes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its fully dead now, going in the trash. Avoid RUsalty!!

Attachments

• dead.jpg
    dead.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 53

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its fully dead now, going in the trash. Avoid RUsalty!!
Are you sure it’s dead? I can still see some coloration on the coralline algae (might just be the photo) and I have had numerous bleached coralline recover in the past. Good to know about Rusalty’s shipping, though!

OP
OP
B

bestfishes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looked like a piece of concrete before I tossed it. I might have tried to hold on longer but it smells so bad having it near the water surface in my little quarantine area makes the whole room smell like death. Not worth trying to salvage this one. I cant believe such a small piece of rock could produce such an odor.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can collect this stuff in S. Florida. 2 things it needs to live, tons of light and tons of flow.

Without both of those, it will die. I collect it in 2-4' of water at low tide and it gets almost full sun for most of the time the sun is out. Stuff is crazy light dependent. I stopped collecting it, as the only way I could grow it was to stick it up with my SPS and that still was almost not enough light. It did OK, 1" from top of tank on a frag rack though lol.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back