Orange crap on plug. Sps rtn

reefer4816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever see this orange crap between a plug and the coral? Idk if it's coincidence why this frag went rtn or not?

Anyone know what the orange crap is?

IMG_3491.JPG

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears to just be either some type of algae, detritus, or maybe bacteria. It may just be the angle, but it doesn't look like it was coming in contact with the frag. Did it wash off easily?

OP
OP
reefer4816

reefer4816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears to just be either some type of algae, detritus, or maybe bacteria. It may just be the angle, but it doesn't look like it was coming in contact with the frag. Did it wash off easily?
It was between the glue and the frag plug. It wasn't visible until I popped the frag off the plug

No its engrained into the plug

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was between the glue and the frag plug. It wasn't visible until I popped the frag off the plug

No its engrained into the plug
If that's the case, I don't see any correlation between it and the RTN.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The orange is normal and harmless. How long have you had the frag? What was the alkalinity in frag water vs your tank? How did you acclimate? Any dips?

Last edited:

KIRBLIT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That orange always happens when frags are glued to a disk and they are on a tank for a while, it's normal.

OP
OP
reefer4816

reefer4816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The orange is normal and harmless. How long have you had the frag? What was the alkalinity in frag water vs your tank? How did you acclimate? Any dips?
This frag has been in the system for about 3 months. Had a frag rtn 3 days ago. 2 frags rtn 2 days ago. No rtn yesterday. And 1 rtn so far today. Trying to narrow down the problem

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This frag has been in the system for about 3 months. Had a frag rtn 3 days ago. 2 frags rtn 2 days ago. No rtn yesterday. And 1 rtn so far today. Trying to narrow down the problem
History of your parameters over the past week or two? Specifically temperature, alkalinity. Swings of either of those can cause this. How are nitrate and phosphate levels? Any changes? What kind of lighting and where were the frags in the tank? How deep is the tank? Are you running gfo/carbon or dosing etc? How long has the tank been set up? How big is the tank and what do you have for flow?

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've experienced STN/RTN after nutrient spike, chemical (plug in air freshner), and new arrivals not acclimating well. The coral has reacting to something that has changed in the tank or perhaps it was just holding on for dear life for 3 months.. Sometimes SPS just die:(

OP
OP
reefer4816

reefer4816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm associating it with probably the significant change in bio load. It's a frag tank with only 3 fish. Yellow tang, wrasse, clownfish. I added another tang about a week ago. This almost doubled the bio load.

This was followed by a bacteria outbreak (tank got a little cloudy).

So it was. Probably this change that made the corals not so happy?

Parameters have stayed steady

Ca-450
Alk-9.8
Sal-1.025
Temp-78
Nitrates-.04
P04-.02-.04

I have been slowly raising nitrates with stump remover to help with color as much as possible. I feel like my system wasn't nutrient starved before this.

My solution is 2 tablespoons of stump remover for every 2 cups of water.

Been adding about 10 ml of this solution per day to keep nitrates at .04

OP
OP
reefer4816

reefer4816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
History of your parameters over the past week or two? Specifically temperature, alkalinity. Swings of either of those can cause this. How are nitrate and phosphate levels? Any changes? What kind of lighting and where were the frags in the tank? How deep is the tank? Are you running gfo/carbon or dosing etc? How long has the tank been set up? How big is the tank and what do you have for flow?
Under ati T5.6 Blue plus and 1 actinic and 1 purple plus. The tank is onky 12 inches deep with the lights 20 inches above the water. I was running gfo. And switched to carbon ever since the water got a bit cloudy because of the bacteria outbreak.

Maybe i stripped too much p04?

The tank has been up for 4 months and growin coral well. It's 5'x3' I have two jaebo wavemakers with a lot of flow for the sps

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 months is not very long to be trying to frag and grow sps. :/. That alone could be the problem.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I don't think you need to dose nitrates in your tank; just target feed and dose some amino acids. Dosing nitrates causes diatoms and cyano outbreaks while your corals are probably receiving enough nutrients as it is; just because nitrates say 0.04 does not mean thats what is available to them. They say ALK range in Reef aquarium should be 8-12DKH ; this can be misleading with SPS. w/softies and LPS your ALK can be any where in those ranges in a given week regardless of your nutrients. ALK, PO, NO balance is more critical with SPS as I've found so I recommend to keep your ALK at 8.5DKH. I think your ALK is dangerously too high.

My parameters are

CA 420 ALK 8.0-8.2 MG 1360 PO 0.02-0.04 NO 0.02 (always)

Back