Orange Filter Floss

silentbiscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 25, 2023
Messages
33
Reaction score
12
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everytime I run carbon in my tank my filter floss turns this orange/rust color. Any ideas what that is exactly? Havent been able to find anything researching.

Thanks in advance

IMG_0129.jpeg
 
that's funky! Do you rinse the carbon first to ensure it isn't releasing any dust? what carbon do you use?
 
I had that happen with some leftover Fluval carbon I was using. I just got some BRS Rox 0.8, and will be switching it out momentarily. I will update you if I still have orange after that.
 
i vaguely recall reading that the fluval carbon contains some iron, which would help explain the rust color. You could run a magnet over the carbon when dry to confirm.
 
that's funky! Do you rinse the carbon first to ensure it isn't releasing any dust? what carbon do you use?
Yes i rinsed it before using. It was AquaClear brand. I have the BRS Rox as well but was just using the last of the AquaCleaer that I had laying around.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new