Orange filter for DSLR/MirrorLess - The search of the One

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I'm trying to find an orange filter for my Sony A7III, I'm currently unsatisfied with the one I have, it doesn't show the right color even with color balance inside the camera.
I bought the K&F Concept pack filter long time ago for my Canon:

I love that kit but they don't seem to have the right color filter that we need for our aquarium needs.

I decide to buy on Amazon the

Tiffen 67mm 21 Filter (Orange)

DSC00231.jpg

Now here the Polyp Lab Orange filter v1 next to them that I use with my smartphone:
DSC00227.jpg

Now at first, I was excited I thought I got the right color filter but then I started to do some test on my aquarium (sorry I didn't save the picture and video, had too stuff to do and i forgot)

Basically the Tiffen pictures/video were REALLY orange, despite doing so color correction inside the camera it just way too orange.
I have my studio light next to me so I put the filter on my softbox to see how they react with light:
DSC00228.jpg

This is when I understood that filter wasn't designed for our aquarium, I guess it's good when you dive in the ocean but for aquarium use it doesn't work.

So if you guys have any suggestions let me know, still looking for the One...
Hope it help anyone who do search with google and read that post...

Leishman

143gadgets' Mentor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a 77mm full color yellow dive lens filter off eBay. Was looking for the closest yellow to the polyplab iphone clip on. Their yellow is perfect for my t5s with orphek led bars. Should have in hand by friday.

Leishman

143gadgets' Mentor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Leishman

143gadgets' Mentor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just tested it w my iPhone on my office tank. Huge fail. Thankfully its for the DSLR and a completely different lighting setup. There's still hope.

SaltyManos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know im a little late to this but I have plenty of experience using dslr gel filters and the best filter that best represents the “what you see” is and mix of the 85 filters either 85A is more orange and 85B is a light yellowish-orange and 85 that is cut down the middle and my favorite for dslr coral shots.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m presently doing a similar search. I use LEE filters in allot of my photography. I have several on back order from Adorama and will test them as I get them. I’m going to be testing the following.

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know im a little late to this but I have plenty of experience using dslr gel filters and the best filter that best represents the “what you see” is and mix of the 85 filters either 85A is more orange and 85B is a light yellowish-orange and 85 that is cut down the middle and my favorite for dslr coral shots.
I’ll have to try the 85 cut down the middle. I use the 85B. Good stuff as well. Maybe I’ll try stacking the 85b and split 85

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand of filter do you use? I've used the Tiffen 85B, but they don't show any other 85 series on their site.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys, I finally did a video to share my experience with what I use.
I was supposed to make a video for another orange filter but I don't think it's ready yet.

Does Tiffen 85 intrigue me, I might check them later eventually.

Man, that step down/up ring set is a must have! Gonna order something today. Thanks for posting! I use the Tiffen 85B, but could only afford to buy one for my Macro lens (58mm). Will be great to use on my other lenses.

dpgunit05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any ideas on camera settings? I am using a Sony a7III with a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 and I bought an 82mm tiffen 16 orange filter. The orange is completely overpowering the image. I tried a few different WB settings but didn't find anything that I liked. I have a Galaxy s20 Ultra and when I use the clip-on orange filter that I got off amazon, I get the saturated affect I'm looking for. I'm wondering if the s20U camera is doing extra processing, so I'm trying to figure out how that translates to the a7III. Any advice would be apprecated.

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone know where I could buy a 30” x 60” sheet of 85B filter?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back