Orange plate coral question

  • Thread starter Thread starter nybern
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

nybern

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2022
Messages
79
Reaction score
46
Location
19053
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have this plate coral about 3 months always looked good. Today it looks like the pic. Is it trying to sting other coral ? What is the web coming out of it ?
20240710_182646.jpg
20240710_182559.jpg
 
Yes, it is reaching out to digest the neighbors. When I have corals doing this, I move the active reacher so that it can't reach and injure anything downstream.
 
Looks to be either mesenterial filaments or just shedding mucus. I haven't seen any Fungiid extend mesenterial filaments before. Usually, when a coral shows mesenterial filaments anywhere other than the mouth, it means the coral is damaged. Aggressive corals usually extend their mesenterial filaments from their mouth.
 
Thanks for the information guys I moved it and in like 15 minutes thy retracted.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new