Orange shoulder tang not eating

tanglover13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have got a juvenile orange shoulder tang it is not eating I only got him today but when I put food in he hides and runs away from me how will I get him used to me had the same issue with a Scopas who died

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give him more time. Can take several days before he starts eating. Stressful to be moved into a new tank.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding? I would put nori on a clip and leave it while you arent in room.

To get him to feed on pellets and frozen feed with the lights out in the room tank is in and he cant see you as easy. I shut off pumps in tank every time so he gets use to that and its like a dinner bell. The fish i have in my tank now gather like vultures at food opening as soon as i shut pumps off.

Orange shoulder tangs to me are some of the hardiest and easy to get to eat tangs of all tangs.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switch em off. Leave em off. Enter with room dark. See what happens

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He definitely is stressed right now, if you only got him a day ago. Like other people said, give him time. Just think about how you would feel if you were him, you would probably hide and not want to eat until you are comfortable. Aren't you also the person who asked if your friend could keep a tang in his 10G??

DrkNMighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was he eating at the store? I would just put nori in the tank on a clip and leave it. Will likely start eating. You just can't hover around the tank. If you really want to see if he is eating setup a camera and record over an hour or something then review the video.

DrkNMighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He definitely is stressed right now, if you only got him a day ago. Like other people said, give him time. Just think about how you would feel if you were him, you would probably hide and not want to eat until you are comfortable. Aren't you also the person who asked if your friend could keep a tang in his 10G??
It is! I didn't even notice that...

OP
OP
T

tanglover13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How will I get home to eat frozen because to feed him it you have to go near the tank but he just hides

DrkNMighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How will I make him not hide when I go near the tank @DrkNMighty
He is probably going to hide for a while when you approach. You have only had him a few hours at most. You can't expect him to just be fine especially after being taken out of one tank, transported, then put into another tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back