Orange Spot Rabbitfish

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please share your experience with orange spot rabbitfish as I am considering one.
I know they get large.
I've seen some reports they might munch zoas. How about LPS and which type if they did nip them, clams? sps?
Tank is 270g, sps dominant but do have a couple lps, zoa colonies and a clam. Wouldn't be heartbroken over the zoas being snacked on.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love mine. Definitely not a small fish though, but very unique coloration and causes no trouble with any other fish. I don't have any zoa in the tank, but there a couple euphyllia and an acan that he completely ignores.

DSC_0207.jpg

Fast grower, he was pretty small 6months ago
DSC_8612.jpg

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You already know they get big but it's often quite surprising how quickly they grow. I personally think this is why people see the odd nip here and there, simply because their feeding isn't keeping up with the fishes metabolism.
If I had a big enough tank I'd likely have one. They may be a slight risk with corals but it's generally pretty obvious what they are eating and easy to deal with. They can become really pet fish, so it's always worth a go.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprised no one else has chimed in, didn't think they were that uncommon. Also, I totally have zoas in my tank...I'm completely acro obsessed and forgot I have one rock with a few zoa on it. Orange spot hasn't been seen nipping at anything, and honestly I rarely see him nip at algae on the rocks even. He does love some nori though.

Here's a punk rock shot for fun.
DSC_0434.jpg

Southpaw240

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had one for several years. Great fish, nice size, mine is about 10". When the lights go out and they camouflage is pretty cool. Very aggressive eaters, will eat anything., minnows, ghost shrimp, frozen, nori. I think if it is picking at coral its just picking the frozen food off of it. Haven't seen it actually chomping on coral. Peaceful with all the other tank mates.

20200314_163431.jpg 20200301_072647.jpg

Southpaw240

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did it. The spotted had for several years. Then added the two bar I guess a little more than a year ago. The two bar does show a little aggression towards the foxface on occasion. But nothing out of control. The tape with the markings in the unclear pic is for measurement purpose. They are at 1 inch intervals.

mmarine9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprised no one else has chimed in, didn't think they were that uncommon. Also, I totally have zoas in my tank...I'm completely acro obsessed and forgot I have one rock with a few zoa on it. Orange spot hasn't been seen nipping at anything, and honestly I rarely see him nip at algae on the rocks even. He does love some nori though.

Here's a punk rock shot for fun.
DSC_0434.jpg
awesome fish

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just got rid of mine Friday - It ate $400+ of zoa, all my clove polyps and a good portion of GSP in two weeks ! No more rabbits in my tank

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%

Back