Orange Spotted and Lawnmower Blenny?

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if I get these at the same time, will they fight in QT? I have a 220 gallon DT, but my QT tanks are 20. Thank you.

JayKim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They might fight, I put in starry blenny a month after lawnmower blenny and the starry is bigger. They don't fight but the starry always chases the lawnmower.

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They might fight, I put in starry blenny a month after lawnmower blenny and the starry is bigger. They don't fight but the starry always chases the lawnmower.
I heard lawnmowers were the most agressive blenny. Any ideas about Midas blennies?

JayKim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most fish are aggressive to conspecifics. If you introduce them together at the same time less likely of conflict. Never had Midas. I have two tail spots too, introduced them at the same time in 150 gallons. One chased the other but eventually stopped.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have a way to separate them easily available because I have seen threads about blennies fighting in qt

Last edited:

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmower blennies are pretty territorial and they get big. I personally would choose one. Orange spotted blennies do best when they can graze rocks freely (not stressed). If you try it and it does not work, catching either one of those blennies won’t be easy.

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmower blennies are pretty territorial and they get big. I personally would choose one. Orange spotted blennies do best when they can graze rocks freely (not stressed). If you try it and it does not work, catching either one of those blennies won’t be easy.
I'm actually probably going to go with the midas blenny since they get to be the same size as a lawnmower. Do you think they would be peaceful in a large tank such as mine?

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually probably going to go with the midas blenny since they get to be the same size as a lawnmower. Do you think they would be peaceful in a large tank such as mine?
Midas blennies have a bolt hole and swim/eat in water column, while lawnmowers (and orange spotted) graze algae off rocks. These two would be a better fit since they occupy different areas of the tank.
Midas will often swim in a group of anthias to eat.
Your tank size will help. I have a 300 gal and had a with a Midas and orange spotted with no issues. My Midas swam with my anthias. I don’t have personal experience with a lawnmower and a Midas though, so check with someone on these together.
Blennies are great to watch!

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas blennies have a bolt hole and swim/eat in water column, while lawnmowers (and orange spotted) graze algae off rocks. These two would be a better fit since they occupy different areas of the tank.
Midas will often swim in a group of anthias to eat.
Your tank size will help. I have a 300 gal and had a with a Midas and orange spotted with no issues. My Midas swam with my anthias. I don’t have personal experience with a lawnmower and a Midas though, so check with someone on these together.
Blennies are great to watch!
Great! What's a bolt hole?

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! What's a bolt hole?
A Midas will pick a spot in the live rock to peer out from to survey the tank. It will sleep in this hole too. In a large tank they will sometimes have 2 bolt holes (diff sides of tank) to dart into if spooked. Watch You tube videos and you will see.
Barnacle blennies use barnacles or small holes in live rock to do the same thing. Barnacle blennies are extremely fast. So they dart out quickly, then dart back into their bolt hole.
Midas check out that the coast is clear, exit the bolt hole and swim with other dither fish (like anthias) to eat.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%

Back