Orbit led light need help!

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey y’all I’m new to this saltwater stuff i just got a new current orbit led light i setup and all trying to figure out what would be the best way to program this thing if anyone has experience with it its the newest model with the loop current control

Need help setting light percentages
How people setup the 24 hour day mode
Where it dims out and stuff
How much red how much Green white blue all the works trying to master this light and get some coral in my tank it’s

Specs: 10gallon tank / 18 inch orbit led light/ 240 wave maker / 50w Heater
Have 2 clowns live rock snails hermits so far waiting on corals :)

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it the standard orbit or the orbit ic?

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of corals are you hoping to keep? Just asking because I have an Orbit IC fixture, and am currently trying to sell it since it won't support my SPS. Just a heads up to save you some $$$ and potential headache down the road...

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think it might be the ic lol doesn’t say it on the box tho
What type of corals are you hoping to keep? Just asking because I have an Orbit IC fixture, and am currently trying to sell it since it won't support my SPS. Just a heads up to save you some $$$ and potential headache down the road...
Really why not i heard great news about it and heard people grow a lot of softies with it so i don’t reallt know haven’t picked any softies yet

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking for softies, you're probably fine. I wanted to keep SPS/anemones/clams and needed more light than the Orbit IC could offer mixed with another fixture I had. I just checked the PAR values and attached some charts for your comparison. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you spend for the fixture?

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 8.10.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 8.10.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 8.10.46 PM.png

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking for softies, you're probably fine. I wanted to keep SPS/anemones/clams and needed more light than the Orbit IC could offer mixed with another fixture I had. I just checked the PAR values and attached some charts for your comparison. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you spend for the fixture?

Umm i got it on amazon for 111$ total with shipping prime account 18-24inch

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looking at your chart how do i program it to that?

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It ultimately comes down to what you want to keep. If you have the regular Orbit Marine fixture, with those PAR values, you probably will not be able to keep many types of SPS, clams, anemones. If you have an interest in potentially keeping these things at any time in your tank, I would recommend returning the Current fixture and getting something like an AI Prime (~70 dollars more) a Kessil A160WE, or a black box fixture depending upon what you want to spend.

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a program, it is telling you the PAR values for the various lights at depths and light intensities for the fixture in a sample tank. The Orbit Marine produces 136 PAR at 8" 100% intensity. The Kessil A160WE at the same height and intensity produces 462 PAR.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a program, it is telling you the PAR values for the various lights at depths and light intensities for the fixture in a sample tank. The Orbit Marine produces 136 PAR at 8" 100% intensity. The Kessil A160WE at the same height and intensity produces 462 PAR.
Hmm i was looking at those just got better reviews about the orbit

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Difference between the Kessil and Prime -- Prime you can control via your phone or a computer with no additional interface, Prime also has a lunar mode. Kessil provides the best "shimmer" as everyone claims, but lacks the controllability without buying a controller (extra 99 dollars) and does not feature a lunar mode.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up mine. It's the newest. Ic pro duals so there are 2 lights. I like them so far.
I have mine set at
blue 70 or 75
white 40-50
red 10
green 10
I've read that red and greens are not needed. Not sure if I should set to 0
They come on around 9, ramp down around 8-830, moonlight for 6 hrs.

I can check more tomorrow as lights are off. I'm running the program with ramp up and down and moonlight on for 6 hrs. Right now, just have a reverse sunset and mandarin sedosa monti and 2 fish When I add more corals that are in qt, I'll give them some time and start upping the blues and maybe whites.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is what is on current's website for par. Mine are using the brackets, set at 7" above water. At some point will prob. have to lower to at least the 5"
orbit-marine-chart.png

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is what is on current's website for par. Mine are using the brackets, set at 7" above water. At some point will prob. have to lower to at least the 5"
orbit-marine-chart.png
I have the orbit IC on my fowler. I love it. If I wanted to start doing coral in that tank, I would have to add another light strip (accessory light) to the other connector on the light controller. This makes it the Pro model. If you have an Orbit IC you have one light. If you have the Pro, it's 2 lights. Same everything else.

Don't let everyone tell you your light sucks. You may have a hard time with SPS unless they are at the very top, but you can grow zoas, LPS, softies.

What exactly is the question about programming?

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the orbit IC on my fowler. I love it. If I wanted to start doing coral in that tank, I would have to add another light strip (accessory light) to the other connector on the light controller. This makes it the Pro model. If you have an Orbit IC you have one light. If you have the Pro, it's 2 lights. Same everything else.

Don't let everyone tell you your light sucks. You may have a hard time with SPS unless they are at the very top, but you can grow zoas, LPS, softies.

What exactly is the question about programming?
sweet thanks man! well i have 3 modes that need to be setup day time 8hrs est / sun down and rise / night light when i press one i gotta set how much red/ green / blue / white 0-100 light on each
i have my light like 1 inch from surface so its like dead on my tank and its only 11 inches to the floor which isnt much so i hope i can grow some stuff :)

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet thanks man! well i have 3 modes that need to be setup day time 8hrs est / sun down and rise / night light when i press one i gotta set how much red/ green / blue / white 0-100 light on each
i have my light like 1 inch from surface so its like dead on my tank and its only 11 inches to the floor which isnt much so i hope i can grow some stuff :)
All you can set is the sunrise start and sunset start. The durations are fixed. Also, moonlight is 6 hours I believe.

My suggestion is to leave the default settings for the colors and see if you like them and they are working for you. The daytime program is 100% on RGB and 90% white. It makes my fish look nice. Most reef lights have a lot of blue, but the corals need blue to grow. You do have 100% blue on the program so it should work.

If you see after a couple of weeks (not days) that you aren't getting good results, then make adjustments.

This picture is taken with the current light. I think the colors look good.
20171129_183943.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back