Orchid Dottyback and corals dying

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like there's a water quality issue.

1. Large volume water change
2. Pick up an ammonia badge -- they're better for detecting ammonia
3. stop dosing nano a and nano b (they haven't contributed to this, but I doubt you have the consumption required to dose. Let test results drive this)
4. Slow down. You added 4 fish (or more?) in what, a month? In a 15-20 gallon tank (estimating here)? You went from essentially no bio load to max bioload very quickly. It takes time for the bacterial population to adjust to the increase in nutrients.

OP
OP
Aegon

Aegon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like there's a water quality issue.

1. Large volume water change
2. Pick up an ammonia badge -- they're better for detecting ammonia
3. stop dosing nano a and nano b (they haven't contributed to this, but I doubt you have the consumption required to dose. Let test results drive this)
4. Slow down. You added 4 fish (or more?) in what, a month? In a 15-20 gallon tank (estimating here)? You went from essentially no bio load to max bioload very quickly. It takes time for the bacterial population to adjust to the increase in nutrients.
You’re completely right I needed to slow down awhile ago it is a 20 gallon and I’m not gonna stock anything until at least 5 months from now after the ugly stage hopefully hits I had to learn the hard way unfortunately because I’m ignorant. Do you recommend I still perform a large water change if the corals still look good and spread out?

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re completely right I needed to slow down awhile ago it is a 20 gallon and I’m not gonna stock anything until at least 5 months from now after the ugly stage hopefully hits I had to learn the hard way unfortunately because I’m ignorant. Do you recommend I still perform a large water change if the corals still look good and spread out?

You still have fish, correct? I'd still do a water change.

You don't need to stop adding livestock -- you just need to slow down. Don't do it all at once. Add a fish, wait a few weeks. Add another, then wait a few more weeks.

OP
OP
Aegon

Aegon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You still have fish, correct? I'd still do a water change.

You don't need to stop adding livestock -- you just need to slow down. Don't do it all at once. Add a fish, wait a few weeks. Add another, then wait a few more weeks.
Okay I’ll go ahead and perform water change once this water heats up to temp,
And yeah I still have some livestock so I’m still enjoying the tank as is

currently there are
5 snails
Fireshrimp
Emerald crab
Watchman goby
Hawk fish
8 zoas 1 hammer coral

Thank you for the quick help I appreciate it a lot

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 119 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back