Orchid Dottyback with Seahorses

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve tried a royal gramma with my seahorses and it went great. He’s in another tank now and my seahorses are by themselves. I thought of buying another one and saw some orchid dottybacks in my lfs and thought they were beautiful. Would they be seahorse safe?
Thank you

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about sea horses but after a year of peace my captive bred orchid killed a damsel and ate a cleaner shrimp. I replaced it with a royal gramma to restore peace.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orchid Dottybacks have a nasty reputation of getting aggressive. Not sure that they would necessarily go after seahorses but I don’t know if it’s a risk I would take

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one eat all my berghias and hes a real jerk after he matured.....
Been trying to catch him for months to flush him down the toilet.....jk jk.....no but seriously he needs to be put in a predator tank and im sure he could hold his own....hahahaha

OP
OP
KeepSwimming12

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about sea horses but after a year of peace my captive bred orchid killed a damsel and ate a cleaner shrimp. I replaced it with a royal gramma to restore peace.
Orchid Dottybacks have a nasty reputation of getting aggressive. Not sure that they would necessarily go after seahorses but I don’t know if it’s a risk I would take
I had one eat all my berghias and hes a real jerk after he matured.....
Been trying to catch him for months to flush him down the toilet.....jk jk.....no but seriously he needs to be put in a predator tank and im sure he could hold his own....hahahaha
Thanks for your advice. It’s a real shame that they’re aggressive because it’s such a beautiful fish and I’ve never seen purple that vibrant before. It can be pretty difficult to find good sea horse tank mates that aren’t little dictators lol.

Pescador

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allyssa Seahorse Savvy has sold them as seahorse tank mates for quite some time now. The description has this to say about them, "This coveted species appears to be considerably less aggressive than most of the other dottyback species that ORA raises and for this reason should be fine with larger captive bred seahorses if you plan to keep them in your seahorse tank. As with any fish or tank mate, keep an eye on them for aggression but we expect these to be fine with our larger captive bred seahorses." (https://seahorsesavvy.com/collectio...captive-bred-elongate-dottyback-small-species)

I'd reach out to Allyssa to find out what her experience has been with them.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back