orchid dottyback

Iafrate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a ywg in my tank for a month and then i added an orchid dottyback and it took the gobies den and i haven't seen the goby since, so i waited and i gave up on the goby and bought a new pick spotted goby and he is also mia. the pink spotted was full grown so quite a bit bigger than the dottyback, i'm starting to think its the dottyback even though he is supposed to be the best dottyback there is, any thoughts on this?

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? Orchids are the best behaved dotty but they can still be a little aggressive.

A goby can also hide quite well, perhaps it's still there?

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you sure it's an orchid and not a purple?

is it a 4 foot long 55? my orchid is kind of a goon, but only a tiny area, i'd think a 4 foot long tank he'd just take over a small area somewhere

OP
OP
Iafrate

Iafrate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you sure it's an orchid and not a purple?

is it a 4 foot long 55? my orchid is kind of a goon, but only a tiny area, i'd think a 4 foot long tank he'd just take over a small area somewhere
yes 4 foot and its a orchid for sure, it has the black slash over the eye and i got it from the divers den

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes 4 foot and its a orchid for sure, it has the black slash over the eye and i got it from the divers den

idk, you might have to remove the orchid if you want a goby really bad. my orchid kind of does goby like things, he hangs out in a cave and has burrowed a second cave entrance for himself

i remember someone making a thread on here about their orchid stealing a jawfish's burrow. so it can happen. i'm just surprised they can't co-exist on the other side of the tank

OP
OP
Iafrate

Iafrate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk, you might have to remove the orchid if you want a goby really bad. my orchid kind of does goby like things, he hangs out in a cave and has burrowed a second cave entrance for himself

i remember someone making a thread on here about their orchid stealing a jawfish's burrow. so it can happen. i'm just surprised they can't co-exist on the other side of the tank
im just surprised my pink spotted is gone, it was almost twice the size

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Orchids are beauties and I would doubt if its aggression as Gobies can hide and play peek-a-boo real well

OP
OP
Iafrate

Iafrate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orchids are beauties and I would doubt if its aggression as Gobies can hide and play peek-a-boo real well
i went from being able to see them everyday to nothing in over a week, think thats still ok?

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im just surprised my pink spotted is gone, it was almost twice the size

dottybacks are pretty gangster fish. orchids are nice for what they are, but they're still a dottyback

the really mean ones like diadema, bicolor, neons, etc. they'll attack fish 4 times their size :eek:

that said, orchids aren't too bad. i added a flame angel and the angel promptly went into the orchids cave area, declared it his own, and i didn't see my orchid for a week. orchid got shook

i'd aim for a slightly more aggressive tank if i were you and you wanted to keep the orchid if it apparently won't allow any gobies

OP
OP
Iafrate

Iafrate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dottybacks are pretty gangster fish. orchids are nice for what they are, but they're still a dottyback

the really mean ones like diadema, bicolor, neons, etc. they'll attack fish 4 times their size :eek:

that said, orchids aren't too bad. i added a flame angel and the angel promptly went into the orchids cave area, declared it his own, and i didn't see my orchid for a week. orchid got shook

i'd aim for a slightly more aggressive tank if i were you and you wanted to keep the orchid if it apparently won't allow any gobies
Think it would be worth it to throw it in my QT tank and see if my gobies come out?

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think it would be worth it to throw it in my QT tank and see if my gobies come out?

i probably would.. if you can catch it. if you happen to have another tank hanging around you might want to leave the orchid in there until you're fairly stocked

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had them murder damsels larger then themselves...yes ora captive bred Dotty...but also have had them get bullied by my perc clown.

They don't like to share caves.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My orchid dive bombed the banded goby everytime it showed itself to the point the goby was going to starve.

It may be the "least" aggressive dottyback but I pulled him out with a fish trap and wouldn't have one in my peaceful tank again.

OP
OP
Iafrate

Iafrate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i probably would.. if you can catch it. if you happen to have another tank hanging around you might want to leave the orchid in there until you're fairly stocked
the orchid was going to be the last fish until my ywg went mia so i added my pink spotted but i see a ton a sand turned over so i'm assuming the pink spotted is alive

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back