Orchid Dottyback

duke594

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had an Orchid Dottyback for several months. It was shy for the first week or so but since then has been swimming out in the open even when I come close to the tank. Last Thursday I added a yellow Tang to the tank. I haven't seen the Orchid Dottyback since ( I did see him the day before though and he appeared normal and was eating fine). I checked the floor just to make sure it didn't jump out (there is a screen cover over the tank) and didn't see it on the floor. Is it likely the Orchid Dottyback is just hiding and will come back out? I have a Red Sea Reefer 425XL with 2 clown fish, diamond goby, yellow clown goby, blueside fairy wrasse, and a coral beauty angelfish. The yellow Tang is the only thing I have added in months. Thanks for any help.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a clean up crew? Could the fish have passed and the CUC taken care of the remains?

OP
OP
D

duke594

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a clean up crew? Could the fish have passed and the CUC taken care of the remains?
I have CUC of hermit crabs, various snails and a cleaner shrimp. It was healthy and eating before I put the yellow Tang in the aquarium. I am hoping it just hiding in the rocks somewhere.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have CUC of hermit crabs, various snails and a cleaner shrimp. It was healthy and eating before I put the yellow Tang in the aquarium. I am hoping it just hiding in the rocks somewhere.
It's amazing how fast with CUC there and warm saltwater a fish can almost disappear.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you sometimes turn off your powerhead pumps, for example during feedings?

I found out the hard way that Dottybacks in general, and Orchids in particular, like to explore the inside of powerhead pumps when they are turned off. Several of my guys must have gotten shredded when I had my powerheads on a tidal schedule where they were off for 20 minutes 4 times a day. I only realized what was going on when I witnessed the last one getting chopped to bits...
Since then I have my powerheads always on and if I have to turn them off for a while I check no nosy fish is in there before powering them up again.

OP
OP
D

duke594

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you sometimes turn off your powerhead pumps, for example during feedings?

I found out the hard way that Dottybacks in general, and Orchids in particular, like to explore the inside of powerhead pumps when they are turned off. Several of my guys must have gotten shredded when I had my powerheads on a tidal schedule where they were off for 20 minutes 4 times a day. I only realized what was going on when I witnessed the last one getting chopped to bits...
Since then I have my powerheads always on and if I have to turn them off for a while I check no nosy fish is in there before powering them up again.
I did turn off the powerheads the day before I got the yellow Tang. It could be what happened to it. I guess I will what a few more days to see if it hiding or not. Question is if it is dead can I add another one down the road now that the yellow Tang is in the tank?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back