Order of fish to add after cycling?

KameronManning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone ! I’m currently setting up a 40 gallon cube. Should be done cycling in a bout 2 weeks using dr Tim’s. I wanted to ask which order I should add my fish in, since I’m going to be keeping new fish that I haven’t kept before. More info below . Thanks for any help!

Fish:
Pair of Spotcinctus clowns
Blue spot jawfish
Flame hawk
Cleaner shrimp
Purple dotty back or royal gramma

I’m trying to limit aggression over territory. Obviously the clowns and jawfish will dope out there certain section. I just feel either the clowns , gramma , or dotty back could try and claim the entire tank.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not add the dotty back if you are worried about aggression. Other than that, I personally would add the more shy fish first (the jawfish). Even better, start a QT with the first 3, then get the next 2 or three after the first qt is done.

OP
OP
KameronManning

KameronManning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not add the dotty back if you are worried about aggression. Other than that, I personally would add the more shy fish first (the jawfish). Even better, start a QT with the first 3, then get the next 2 or three after the first qt is done.
Are those spotcicntus in your profile pic? If so how’s been your time keeping them?

Remy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say the invert first or the jawfish to settle in. I agree that the dottyback may cause problems with aggression

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone ! I’m currently setting up a 40 gallon cube. Should be done cycling in a bout 2 weeks using dr Tim’s. I wanted to ask which order I should add my fish in, since I’m going to be keeping new fish that I haven’t kept before. More info below . Thanks for any help!

Fish:
Pair of Spotcinctus clowns
Blue spot jawfish
Flame hawk
Cleaner shrimp
Purple dotty back or royal gramma

I’m trying to limit aggression over territory. Obviously the clowns and jawfish will dope out there certain section. I just feel either the clowns , gramma , or dotty back could try and claim the entire tank.
I’d do the Jawfish first although be wear:
They prefer colder waters than the average coral reef long term.
Then the Shrimp next. To try stop the hawk although he MAY still eat the shrimp when it’s freshly molted.
Then I’d do the gramma if you went that route however if you didn’t go that route and went for the dottybacks Id do the dottyback last just incase although the purple/orchid should be a more peaceful species.
Finally I’d add the clowns. Just from a territory side of view, clowns will take up a good 4”x4” square as a minimum in the tank and you’d rather have them taking the last bits of territory than the first parts.

homegrowncichlid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, jawfish like colder water and the hawkfish will probably eat your shrimp.
heh, evolutionarily speaking, a well fed hawk fish will not go for a cleaner shrimp, though a hungry one doesn't care about evolution, but more about immediate survival.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back