Order Tiny Juvenile and Got a Medium Adult

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two fish in my wish list for my 300G FOWLR are a Harlequin Tusk and a Clown Trigger. I’ve had success keeping Clown Triggers passive in community tanks if you raise them from juvenile and never feed them silver sides or feeder fish. I waited for my favorite online retailer to get 1” to 2” “Juveniles” in stock and jumped on it. I was excited to receive it today. I was surprised when I opened the box and found a 3 to 4” Clown Trigger. Normally I’m happy to get more than I paid for but this time I disappointed. What would you do if you were me?

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two fish in my wish list for my 300G FOWLR are a Harlequin Tusk and a Clown Trigger. I’ve had success keeping Clown Triggers passive in community tanks if you raise them from juvenile and never feed them silver sides or feeder fish. I waited for my favorite online retailer to get 1” to 2” “Juveniles” in stock and jumped on it. I was excited to receive it today. I was surprised when I opened the box and found a 3 to 4” Clown Trigger. Normally I’m happy to get more than I paid for but this time I disappointed. What would you do if you were me?
If your concern is mostly his temperament based on diet, why not call the vendor, explain the situation and inquiry as to his diet and go from there.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would contact them and explain the situation. Hopefully they will either give you credit or send the size you ordered. If they do nothing then they would stop being my favorite if i were you. If they can send you a new one then hopefully you can get some credit from the LFS for the larger one for your troubles

Having said all that i dont think this was an egregious error and they probably just made a bad estimate when classifying size. My guess is in order to please customers(who generally want larger) they error on the side of describing it smaller rather than larger.

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't it possible they grew a little since being listed on the site... Triggers can have 1 inch growth spurts over the matter of days... 1 inch longer than described seems acceptable, no?

OP
OP
K

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would contact them and explain the situation. Hopefully they will either give you credit or send the size you ordered. If they do nothing then they would stop being my favorite if i were you. If they can send you a new one then hopefully you can get some credit from the LFS for the larger one for your troubles

Having said all that i dont think this was an egregious error and they probably just made a bad estimate when classifying size. My guess is in order to please customers(who generally want larger) they error on the side of describing it smaller rather than larger.
The online retailer did nothing. The trigger has been a good citizen. He is not the most aggressive eater. My Niger Trigger who has a much smaller mouth is happy to chomp down on large krill, chunks of clam, etc. The Clown trigger who is bigger and has a much larger mouth only eats things which it can swallow whole with the exception of crab clusters.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back