Ordering fish from a LFS question/advice?

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wholesaler who has a fish I want is only 90 minutes from me and several LFS near me. Of course, I have to order from LFS.

Should I let my LFS take possession, put them in their tanks, get them eating etc or should I see if I can get my LFS to let me take possession while still in the wholesalers shipping bag at arrival at LFS??

I doubt they will be in the wholesalers bag for more than 1/2 a day since its so close

I will prophylactically treat in QT regardless.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's up to you.

If you let the store keep them for a few days, and you can see them eat, then there is less risk on your end.

Some stores would give you a discount to take the fish home in the bag. You save money but take on more risk.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv'e thought about this myself .Use the same question but leave out the monetary risk out . Just about whats best for stress,& exposure to disease to the fish . So less stress hanging out at the LFS just to be bagged again & into another tank with different perams seems best to me . Thanks joe for the question .

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the same question but leave out the monetary risk out . Just about whats best for stress,& exposure to disease to the fish . So less stress hanging out at the LFS just to be bagged again & into another tank with different perams seems best to me . Thanks joe for the question .

That's what I was concerned about. One less occurrence of stress is eliminated. I would not be able to get a good look at him in the bag however, before I get him home

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wholesaler who has a fish I want is only 90 minutes from me and several LFS near me. Of course, I have to order from LFS.

Should I let my LFS take possession, put them in their tanks, get them eating etc or should I see if I can get my LFS to let me take possession while still in the wholesalers shipping bag at arrival at LFS??

I doubt they will be in the wholesalers bag for more than 1/2 a day since its so close

I will prophylactically treat in QT regardless.

Personally I would never take it from the shipping/wholesalers bag. Every time I have done it, I have gotten burned (but I am not an hour and a half away from the distributor, as mine usually come in on an early morning to afternoon shipment). I usually let my LFS hold onto my fish for a couple of weeks (mine generally takes good care of their tanks though) and that way I can get some basic kind of idea of how it feeds and if it's going to have any chance at making it.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing to think about is comparing taking the bag in the store to just ordering online, since either way you are basically getting straight from the wholesaler.

Store: If you can get a discount to offset the risk, and you aren't spending the 100$+ to get free shipping online.
Online: If you are spending 100$+ you get free shipping, and you get a guarantee.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 100 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back