ORP and Different Salt Mixes

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to a problem I found with Reef Crystals salt (see this thread), I had to change to a different salt mix and chose H2Ocean Pro. I noticed an immediate rise in ORP. Using Reef Crystals, my ORP would bounce around a reading of between 295 and 320. Once I started to use H2Ocean Pro, ORP would be far more stable and read between 340 to 355. Not sure what to read into this if anything at all but I guess it should not be a surprise to see ORP change along with other parameters when changing salt mixes! Might be useful information to people who also report a low ORP reading.

Water Changes Using Reef
Crystals

ReefCrystals.png

First Water Change Using H2Ocean Pro
Note: Sharp short dip in ORP is caused by me target dosing Hydrogen Peroxide on hair algae (see this thread)
ReefCrystalsOcean1.png

Water Changes Using H2Ocean
Note: Sharp short dip in ORP is caused by me target dosing Hydrogen Peroxide on hair algae (see this thread)
Ocean.png

Water Change Using 50% Reef Crystals and 50% H2Ocean Pro
Note: Water changed on the Just 21st at 12:00 when I did the water change. I used a 50/50 mix to use up the remainder of Reef Crystals. Sharp short dip in ORP is caused by me target dosing Hydrogen Peroxide on hair algae (see this thread)
OceanReefCrystals2.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORP in salt mixes is driven by the oxidation state of the trace elements in it. For example, iron can be ferrous (lower ORP) or ferric (higher ORP). I would not eclecticism the ORP effects of a water change to persist for very long after it since those chemicals will all come to equilibrium in the aquarium.

OP
OP
Clownfishy

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORP in salt mixes is driven by the oxidation state of the trace elements in it. For example, iron can be ferrous (lower ORP) or ferric (higher ORP). I would not eclecticism the ORP effects of a water change to persist for very long after it since those chemicals will all come to equilibrium in the aquarium.
Thanks for the info Randy, the Reef Crystals had really high Iron and Zinc so that would explain the lower ORP.

OP
OP
Clownfishy

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 20% water change using just H2Ocean Pro salt (no Reef Crystals mixed in this time) and you can see the difference in ORP as soon as I performed the water change. From my experience with previous water changes using this salt, it will now stay consistently at that level (see previous posts). I have now put the rest of the Reef Crystals salt in the trash and will now only use H2Ocean Pro for my water changes. I am not saying these ORP readings will make massive differences but I cannot trust Reef Crystals salt after my ICP testing.
Screenshot from 2018-08-05 09-25-03.png

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an older thread but I figured I would share my recent experience. The dramatic drop in ORP in the picture below occurred when I did a 5 gallon water change (system total volume: 100 gallons) with a new salt mix the other day. I was previously using Red Sea Blue Bucket and switch to TropMarin Pro.

B5CAAEAF-12AB-4E77-BF50-FE23EDE03608.png

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 58 29.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 23 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back