ORP Question

xxblackatlasxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have the Neptune Apex and I kinda get what it is, but I really don't. I know alot of people just ignore it.

I don't have a calcium reactor of anything like that. But there is a connection with that and pH. They say you want to keep you ORP below 450, but above 325 I think. The issue that I am having is that I cant get my pH out of the 7.6 - 7.8 range and my orp is from hardly below 450. It is quite steady at around 455. I don't know if that is the upper limit of this probe that neptune supplies or what.

So I guess my overall question is there a negative limit to the amount of oxidizers that I should have in the water in comparison to the amount of organics.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have the Neptune Apex and I kinda get what it is, but I really don't. I know alot of people just ignore it.

I don't have a calcium reactor of anything like that. But there is a connection with that and pH. They say you want to keep you ORP below 450, but above 325 I think. The issue that I am having is that I cant get my pH out of the 7.6 - 7.8 range and my orp is from hardly below 450. It is quite steady at around 455. I don't know if that is the upper limit of this probe that neptune supplies or what.

So I guess my overall question is there a negative limit to the amount of oxidizers that I should have in the water in comparison to the amount of organics.

Yes, you should ignore ORP readings. I think we are now at a point in the hobby of being in a state of denial about the uselessness of the ORP value as it pertains to maintaining aquarium health. Disconnect the ORP probe.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
xxblackatlasxx

xxblackatlasxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That you for the replies. I will do exactly that. Lol. I thought that might have been the case in why my pH is always so low. Lol. Thanks again.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back