Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dana any updates??
I forgot that I said I'd look at the Orphek Compact. I got busy with other projects (spectral changes with depth and PUR comparisons.) I was wondering which light source to use for the final spectral/depth procedure - and you answered my question. Two birds with one stone!

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dana Riddle, any updates?

Also curious about Orphek's claim that the sky blue bar is better for coral growth, but that the UV bar is the "best."

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dana Riddle, any updates?

Also curious about Orphek's claim that the sky blue bar is better for coral growth, but that the UV bar is the "best."
No, I'm sorry. I haven't had time to do much light testing lately. I am unsure of Orphek's claims to 'better' and 'best' light, although I would tend to agree that 'UV' light at 365 to 400nm promotes photosynthesis better than 'bluer' light.

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I'm sorry. I haven't had time to do much light testing lately. I am unsure of Orphek's claims to 'better' and 'best' light, although I would tend to agree that 'UV' light at 365 to 400nm promotes photosynthesis better than 'bluer' light.

Thanks. Here's the part of their website I'm curious about:

https://orphek.com/or-bar-led-light/

Check out our OR 120, 90 & 60 LED Bars versatility! We have 5 Spectrums Available:

• Reef Day Light – Full Spectrum Day Light (380nm- 700nm ) for both marine or reef aquariums, with SPS/ LPS or soft corals.
  • Blue sky – Blue /Cyan Spectrum (450-500 nm) for better coral growth & color and fluorescence.
  • UV/Violet – UV/Violet (380- 440nm) for maximum coral growth & color and fluorescence.
  • Refugium – Full Spectrum -the most complex spectrum for macro algae or other flourish plants.

What's odd is the chart says for their UV/Violet bar, they use LEDs at 410 and 430...but @Orphek says the spectrum goes from 380 to 440nm. Is that right?

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Here's the part of their website I'm curious about:

https://orphek.com/or-bar-led-light/

Check out our OR 120, 90 & 60 LED Bars versatility! We have 5 Spectrums Available:

• Reef Day Light – Full Spectrum Day Light (380nm- 700nm ) for both marine or reef aquariums, with SPS/ LPS or soft corals.
  • Blue sky – Blue /Cyan Spectrum (450-500 nm) for better coral growth & color and fluorescence.
  • UV/Violet – UV/Violet (380- 440nm) for maximum coral growth & color and fluorescence.
  • Refugium – Full Spectrum -the most complex spectrum for macro algae or other flourish plants.

What's odd is the chart says for their UV/Violet bar, they use LEDs at 410 and 430...but @Orphek says the spectrum goes from 380 to 440nm. Is that right?
Quite likely. The spectrum usually goes as much as 30 to 40nm from the peak output .

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite likely. The spectrum usually goes as much as 30 to 40nm from the peak output .

Thanks. Given that, would I be correct in thinking the "Blue Sky Bar" be worse than the "Reef Day Light" bar if promoting photosynthesis is the goal rather than simply appearance?

Last edited:

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Given that, would I be correct in thinking the "Blue Sky Bar" be worse than the "Reef Day Light" bar if promoting photosynthesis is the goal rather than simply appearance?

@Dana Riddle

Trying to pick among the three bar led options to supplement my main LED fixture (Atlantik v4)

Reef Daylight (380-700nm)
Blue Sky (450-500nm)
UV (380-440nm)

What would you suggest?

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dana Riddle

Trying to pick among the three bar led options to supplement my main LED fixture (Atlantik v4)

Reef Daylight (380-700nm)
Blue Sky (450-500nm)
UV (380-440nm)

What would you suggest?
What is your goal? Faster coral growth, showcasing coloration, etc.? Here are spectral data for several of Orphek's strip lights. These lights are about a year old so it's possible Orphek has tweaked spectral qualities.
upload_2019-3-30_8-11-4.png

upload_2019-3-30_8-11-34.png

upload_2019-3-30_8-12-15.png

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goal would be both...faster growth and better coloration. Haha.
My choice would be the UV/violet strip due to photopigment absorption. That spectrum is also more outside the absorption of protective xanthophylls. Now, with that said, obviously intensity plays an important part - The Atlantiks produce a lot of light, and more is not necessarily better. In other words, know your PAR levels. Enter the wife factor. If the light makes the carpet look purple there will be a compromise (that is she wins, you lose.;)) Hence, aesthetics often rule efficiencies. I've mentioned my preference and that's about as far as I can/should go.

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My choice would be the UV/violet strip due to photopigment absorption. That spectrum is also more outside the absorption of protective xanthophylls. Now, with that said, obviously intensity plays an important part - The Atlantiks produce a lot of light, and more is not necessarily better. In other words, know your PAR levels. Enter the wife factor. If the light makes the carpet look purple there will be a compromise (that is she wins, you lose.;)) Hence, aesthetics often rule efficiencies. I've mentioned my preference and that's about as far as I can/should go.

I’ve got my v4 mounted pretty high. I’ve got ~200-275 par at most of the tank currently. ~150 at the sand. It’s an all acropora tank.

Would you think it beneficial to supplement?

Really appreciate the experienced advice, @Dana Riddle!

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orphek recommended to me the OR2 blue over OR1 uv or blue sky. I asked them for a supplemental light for fluorescence to combine with my Halide/T5

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got my v4 mounted pretty high. I’ve got ~200-275 par at most of the tank currently. ~150 at the sand. It’s an all acropora tank.

Would you think it beneficial to supplement?

Really appreciate the experienced advice, @Dana Riddle!
Bumping up the light level slowly to about 200 at the sand shouldn't hurt.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone can't count.. ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back