Orphek FedEx Customs charges?! Did I get screwed??

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got tariff'd on a hydraulic pump and cylinder because they had steel and iron in them. Finished product. I had no choice... nobody else on the planet made these parts. Not putting a tariff on a finished good would cause even more stuff to get made overseas so you have to tariff raw and finished goods both. This was a consumer purchase, not wholesale or b2b or anything. Usually, the raw goods have a higher tariff percentage.

Y'all know that Hong Kong is not really part of China, right? You can throw out anything that came from Hong Kong in this thread.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got tariff'd on a hydraulic pump and cylinder because they had steel and iron in them. Finished product. I had no choice... nobody else on the planet made these parts. Not putting a tariff on a finished good would cause even more stuff to get made overseas so you have to tariff raw and finished goods both. This was a consumer purchase, not wholesale or b2b or anything. Usually, the raw goods have a higher tariff percentage.

Y'all know that Hong Kong is not really part of China, right? You can throw out anything that came from Hong Kong in this thread.

Not entirely true either (as I learned reading about it) - Many Chinese goods are sent through Hong Kong - and if so - are subject to duty. But - You're right - there is a treaty that exempts Hong Kong from customs duties - until recently (so they say)

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we just go back to the fact that he potentially didn’t hit his minimum to qualify for no fees? Idk I think op said he bought something <$200.. maybe that’s why?
Don’t understand why we have so many different opinions and viewpoints. Maybe there’s a reason his came from another company then dhl?

no clue..

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

There may be a tariff on 'pumps' or 'hydraulics' or if it cost more than $800 it would be subject to a tariff anyway - but it shouldn't have been based on the new tariffs from this year. It would be interesting to see why they did it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can we just go back to the fact that he potentially didn’t hit his minimum to qualify for no fees? Idk I think op said he bought something <$200.. maybe that’s why?
Don’t understand why we have so many different opinions and viewpoints. Maybe there’s a reason his came from another company then dhl?

no clue..
Except its the opposite. The more the cost of the item - the more likely it is to pay customs. And - there aren't that many viewpoints. There is only one law - and its been documented. I think. ?
Probably the reason there are so many opinions is that most people don't know how it works. (and if you try to research it - good luck - its a deep rabbit hole - which is why I posted the article from the government which stated - duties and customs fees are complicated and only the border/customs officials will determine it at the time of entry into the US - therefor - international buyers should beware.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except its the opposite. The more the cost of the item - the more likely it is to pay customs. And - there aren't that many viewpoints. There is only one law - and its been documented. I think. ?
Probably the reason there are so many opinions is that most people don't know how it works. (and if you try to research it - good luck - its a deep rabbit hole - which is why I posted the article from the government which stated - duties and customs fees are complicated and only the border/customs officials will determine it at the time of entry into the US - therefor - international buyers should beware.
I understand all this..
However it does not explain why numerous people have purchased stuff from orphek and got it shipped free no strings attached and then others have fees showing up few weeks later.

we can agree to disagree but regardless of laws and whatnot there’s still some sort of loophole or something as myself along with other people have ordered within the month and have not had these charges.

I however had a package worth $350.Maybe that fell under the radar?

Marlon C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
File it under pay someday maybe lol. You got the lights already

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know... I got about a $30 customs bill and about $120 in tariffs. They even listed out the actual two tariffs collected. I like the one year old article, but these things have changed since December 15th of this year, which sucks because you can get hit in a different way while your shipment in on a boat somewhere. It is so hard to keep up.

The only real thing to know is that none of this helps anything (my opinion) and US citizens end up paying the freight (a real fact) - wait, the last time that I posted this, it got deleted as being political instead of an opinion and fact. This is just an opinion and a fact.

I just thought of the tariff as helping some farmer that got harmed with retaliation (another fact)... and it makes me feel better.

The reason that there are so many different posts is twofold: first, not enough people know the difference in shipping costs, carrier fees, agent fees, customs, duties, tariffs and everything. Second, the application is random with consumer packages. Think of it as getting away with speeding while others get stopped... no all laws are applied equally... like any other "law."

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I understand all this..
However it does not explain why numerous people have purchased stuff from orphek and got it shipped free no strings attached and then others have fees showing up few weeks later.

we can agree to disagree but regardless of laws and whatnot there’s still some sort of loophole or something as myself along with other people have ordered within the month and have not had these charges.

I however had a package worth $350.Maybe that fell under the radar?
OH sorry if I implied that I disagreed. I agreed with what you said - in general. But - specifically as @jda said - any package can be stopped by customs - its random. thats the reason - the higher the 'declared' value - the more likely it is to be 'inspected/held'.
There are also lots of companies that ship a n item that cost $1000 and declare it 'as a gift' or <$800 - to avoid the problem - I think thats why they inspect lower value packages occasionally as well. It is a bit like playing roulette

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
File it under pay someday maybe lol. You got the lights already

There is a problem with this - and I'm speaking from personal experience. If you 'don't pay' you get charged interest and a penalty - and its just like not paying federal taxes. Its not a fee going to Orphek.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow lots to read up on.

In a gist without quoting everyone..

The lights was $160. (not over $800 which WOULD get customs fee I'd think). I was just just the lucky one to get chosen for search? I don't know. It is metal, but put together- not sure if that counts? The outside of the package clearly stated LED lights- so maybe it flagged the customs to search? I don't know.

It's not Orphek's responsibility, but I do wish I was aware of it. Because I wasn't aware of it, I will not purchase anymore.

The lights are "okay". I feel like SBreef's SBar is brighter and offers more vivid colors. I would've went with Sbar if I had known I'd get hit with $73 customs!

The customs fees is from Fedex. I got the bill approx 2 weeks after delivery of the lights.

Side note: Orphek did not comment on this thread, or my other in their sponsor forums thread. I thought they'd like to explain their experience here as well.

Last edited:

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow lots to read up on.

The lights was $160. (not over $800 which WOULD get customs fee I'd think). I was just just the lucky one to get chosen for search? I don't know. It is metal, but put together- not sure if that counts? The outside of the package clearly stated LED lights- so maybe it flagged the customs to search? I don't know.

It's not Orphek's responsibility, but I do wish I was aware of it. Because I wasn't aware of it, I will not purchase anymore.

The lights are "okay". I feel like SBreef's SBar is brighter and offers more vivid colors. I would've went with Sbar if I had known I'd get hit with $73 customs!

The customs fees is from Fedex. I got the bill approx 2 weeks after delivery of the lights.

Side note: Orphek did not comment on this thread, or my other in their sponsor forums thread. I thought they'd like to explain their experience here as well.

The bill is from fedex but that is because they paid the customs fee for you. They do take a percentage for advancing the payment but most is to the government. Sucks but there is no way around it. They’ll definitely send you to collections if it isn’t paid. I does seem like the amount you paid on such a small order is not normal though. Have you talked to Fedex about why it was so high?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow lots to read up on.

You have it right - from what I know - and I'm most sorry you're not entirely happy with the lights

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow lots to read up on.

FYI - In this case - FEDEX Is acting as the 'customs broker' so that you didnt need to travel to New York or LA or wherever the shipment hit. The government is getting the majority of the fees

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the end of the day Orphek advertises the lights for $160 plus free shipping to your home or business. But it’s now becoming a gamble because the cost is not $160, but $233. I love my two lights previously ordered but I am not going to pay extra charges.

Back