Orphek icons and supplement t5?

Paulb89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 2 Orphek icons over my 130 gallon 5ft tank

I love the lights and the look they give, however I'm not a fan of the shadowing that all LEDs give so I want to add a supplement light on the front edge of the tan and angle it in.

I run a mixed reef and I have noticed the front of my sps is dark and brown where they don't recieve any light.

Has anyone added a twin t5 fixture to the front edge with icons and ha e any results or photos of the set up to share? Also does anyone know if a twin set up would provide enough power to colour? Bear in mind these would be purely a supplement and not my main lighting source.

I know I could put a bar on there but I feel T5s would give a much better spread

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I have 2 Orphek icons over my 130 gallon 5ft tank

I love the lights and the look they give, however I'm not a fan of the shadowing that all LEDs give so I want to add a supplement light on the front edge of the tan and angle it in.

I run a mixed reef and I have noticed the front of my sps is dark and brown where they don't recieve any light.

Has anyone added a twin t5 fixture to the front edge with icons and ha e any results or photos of the set up to share? Also does anyone know if a twin set up would provide enough power to colour? Bear in mind these would be purely a supplement and not my main lighting source.

I know I could put a bar on there but I feel T5s would give a much better spread

People run T5 as supplements all the time. Is your 130 extremely wide? That much shadowing using Orpheks seems strange.

In short, yes T5s will add a lot of coverage of done right. However, it also contrasts with the look of LEDs too. It will have a flatter look so just as long as you're ok with how T5 looks.

If you could afford it, you could buy another Orphek and run them vertically so you would position them front to back instead of side to side. That helps coverage greatly.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back